3.8 V6 231 Engine modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Funny thing about the Buick V6 is how it came out squeezed in the middle. You have to get the revs up before it starts catching its power band, but the stock designs are choked off at the top end, and don't rev very high anyway.

Even cramming 23 psi of boost into the heads, a stock head/stock cam 231 doesn't want to rev above 5,000 RPM. At their limit, stock head Turbo Buicks actually get faster in the 1/4 mile by swapping in a lower numerical gear (to keep the RPM's under 5K as long as possible).

Small cube motors generally make power by trading low, low end torque for low torque, but at a higher RPM and a stock head/cam 231 will NEVER make higher end torque.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Even cramming 23 psi of boost into the heads, a stock head/stock cam 231 doesn't want to rev above 5,000 RPM. At their limit, stock head Turbo Buicks actually get faster in the 1/4 mile by swapping in a lower numerical gear (to keep the RPM's under 5K as long as possible).

Small cube motors generally make power by trading low, low end torque for low torque, but at a higher RPM and a stock head/cam 231 will NEVER make higher end torque.

They called me crazy and told me I would go slower with a TH400 and 3.08s. Nope. Less gear is more better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor