301 Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
oh only the dist spins in the opposite way. the 3.42 did not change my gas millage much either but it sucks on the highway with my 3 speed.

79g-body

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2006
About the vacuum advance...I took the vacuum line of off of the dist and the idle changed quite a bit. So I would assume that it is o.k.

But what I really want to do is check the timing. But I need to know which cylinder is number one

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
like he said the head that overlaps the edge of the block will be cyl. 1. both heads are identical if placed on the bench facing the same way. When installed one will overlap the rear of the block and the other will overlap the front.

79g-body

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2006
Last night I started thje car and let it warm up. After warming up I was checking for vacum leaks and while reving up the engine it chokes a little about 3/4 throttle and then backfires out of the carb and a flame. What causes that. This all comes back to my problem

Jan 3, 2007
Union County, IN
I would have to say that is definatly timing. you just need to ajust the timeing on the distributor ot's firing a litel to soon.

79g-body

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2006
First of all thanks for all the replys. I did check the wires and the order and they are right. I am going to check the timing today and I will let you know how that gos

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the wires are ok then your timing is too far advanced and that would give you a loss of power and backfire from the carb..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor