305 compression ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

377tk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2021
I agree, have built many engines over the years from a 600hp solid cam 427bbc to many sbc builds from 406s to 377sbc’s. Just this time am building an odd ball engine. Figure if the 305 race saver class is getting est. 460hp/420ft lbs on alcohol then a 305 built for the street will easily get 325hp with the right combination . I hear the 350 comments and agree with the displacement and the 4in bore comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

377tk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2021
Rest of the build is a isky z-20 cam retarded 2 degrees, z-28 springs 1.6 roller tip rockers with a weiand stealth intake and a 670 street avenger. 10in 2800 stall for th350. Will be going in a 66 c10 with 3.73 gears on 93 octane

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I don't think it would fit in my engine compartment but I think a 250 straight 6 would be a cool build.
It will fit, Mexican Malibu used it as the entry level engine.

Finding the bits and pieces for the swap, not so easy. Its a swap I've posted wanted ads for pieces for without success.

292 is a no-go due to height... it's like the tall deck 454 of the inline world.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

377tk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2021

Finding the bits and pieces for the swap, not so easy. Its a swap I've posted wanted ads for pieces for without success.

292 is a no-go due to height... it's like the tall deck 454 of the inline world.
Inline 6’s are fun and last. Have a 98 Jeep grand Laredo with a 4.0 has a Howard’s cam and a 62mm throttle body 24lb injectors header and cat back system. It will hold its own.

Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020

Do you have any information I cans start my research on? I"ve never heard of a Mexican Malibu. I thought the 250 was too long to fit in the space between the firewall and the radiator.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Do you have any information I cans start my research on? I"ve never heard of a Mexican Malibu. I thought the 250 was too long to fit in the space between the firewall and the radiator.
There's some threads on here with a couple pictures you can use the search function to find them.

Aside from that, here's a wiki snippet:

"In Mexico, General Motors produced this generation in the Ramos Arizpe plant, which was sold during three years (1979 to 1981). Mexican versions came in three trim levels (Chevelle, Malibu and Malibu Classic) and two body styles (sedan and coupe) with the 250 cu in (4.1 L) I6 as basic engine and the 350 cu in (5.7 L) 260 hp (194 kW) V8 as the optional; this engine was standard on Malibu Classic models during those three years. This was possible because the Mexican emissions regulations remained relatively free at the time."

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
They're only about 5" longer than a SBC, or about the fan shroud depth

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Inline 6’s are fun and last. Have a 98 Jeep grand Laredo with a 4.0 has a Howard’s cam and a 62mm throttle body 24lb injectors header and cat back system. It will hold its own.
I've always had at least one inline 6 in my stable somewhere. They run forever if maintained, and sound good stock with no muffler, not even too loud.

I've also got a stack of nos GM service parts "fitted" crate blocks. Someday they'll either get homes, or sold when I die, but I don't think I'll ever be without one for a project.

I'd also like to put a Pontiac super duty I4 into a gbody... likely a grand prix...

They're only about 5" longer than a SBC, or about the fan shroud depth
The fan on the ones I've used always wind up really REALLY close to the radiator. To work on the radiator, even in a squarebody, you need to remove the fan blade prior to the fan shroud (said fan shroud which on sides and bottom is almost non existant) when servicing the radiator.

It'll be tight, but doable like anything else is.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I don't think it would fit in my engine compartment but I think a 250 straight 6 would be a cool build.
My M.I.A. '81 Malibu wagon has/had a 250 L6 that was in it when I bought it. I think they made an earlier straight 6 upper rad plate/"shroud" work on it. The crossmember was made into a double hump to clear the exhaust since the 6 has a drivers side exhaust manifold. One dumb thing they did was weld in the frame side mounts. It ran like a champ last time I drove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor