305 Monte motor HP upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas

n00b
Apr 10, 2021
I know this is a odd one, but I know plenty of 305 knowledge on here. I have a 64 Bel Air with a 305 Monte motor in it. I just bought a Sniper EFI for it. Well after looking at instructions I noticed it states has to have a minimum 200hp. Currently car is stock 305, edelbrock intake with true dual/no converters of course being a 64 X frame car. Do you guys think a cam along with current combo will get me close to my 200 mark? I truly have zero concern on making a "fast car" I just wanted EFI on my cruiser, I don't wanna 350 swap it, lol.
If it's a L69 a set of headers , 1500-5500 dual plane intake will put you alittle over 200 hp if you wish to stay 305 the Weiland is better than the performer and with a RV cam will put you in the 270 range with good exhaust system . I had a 63 with the 327 , 4 speed and there heavy cars , use the RV camshaft. I had a stock L69 IN MY 87 SS MONTE and replaced it with a 427 roller small block 400 trans 9in ford 3.90 gears but I drag it and it wasn't cheap , but I had alot of good tire spinning fun with the 305 with just the parts I mentioned. Stay with know larger than 2 to 2-1/4 exhaust with good mufflers for torque with that cam. You'll have fun enough, by the cam for 9.5 to 1 if it's the L69 as far as I know all 86-88 SS MONTE CARLOS WERE. GET THE NUMBERS BEHIND THE ALTERNATOR ON THE PASSENGER SIDE AND CALL THE DEALER THEY CAN TELL YOU.

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan
Sadly not sure on the LG4 or L69, is it stamped on it anywhere? I know the block casting number#14010202

Oh I totally agree, luckily I have "fast" cars. This Belair is just a cool cruiser for me, I don't care about it being fast.
LG4 and L69 are your RPO codes. Mine are located on the inside of the trunk lid.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
LG4s have 2 inch outlets on their exhaust manifolds, L69s have 2 1/4 inch outlets.

Fnlowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
Myrtle beach
I have an 87 Caballero with the stock 305 and I've done a little reading and I think we all realize that the 305 is not a big horsepower producer but it is a reliable motor what I have done is Ditch all the smog upgrade the distributor use a dual plane Edelbrock intake a Holley 550 factory exhaust manifolds true dual exhaust and I've got a nice sounding reliable daily driver I think the next step is to leave the good running engine alone and start at the rear and with a ring and pinion change for a little more jump from the line never going to be a hot rod but that will wake it up a little and be a little more fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor