305 Monte motor HP upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The only code will be the one stamped on the front right pad near the water pump. It'll be one that starts with C (Cxx) I don't know what it'll be off hand as they change year to year. Now if you know if it came out of a SS then you'll have a L69, base cars had the LG4.

MontesbyE

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2020
North Carolina
I know this is a odd one, but I know plenty of 305 knowledge on here. I have a 64 Bel Air with a 305 Monte motor in it. I just bought a Sniper EFI for it. Well after looking at instructions I noticed it states has to have a minimum 200hp. Currently car is stock 305, edelbrock intake with true dual/no converters of course being a 64 X frame car. Do you guys think a cam along with current combo will get me close to my 200 mark? I truly have zero concern on making a "fast car" I just wanted EFI on my cruiser, I don't wanna 350 swap it, lol.
I've had the 305 in my monte with all the goodies, headers, intake, air filter smog, etc... I currently have a blue print 383, and wouldn't look back at the 305. But i get it.
In your shoes and in my opinion, i would ditch all the smog if not done already. get rid of stock headers so it can breathe. The monte motor will do fine with the EFI. Its a good cruiser motor and will get decent mileage. If you are still worried about meeting the min requirements of the EFI unit, have you thought to switch out the mechanical fan and go electric? Seems that would get you right in the ball park with the specs..

Ricketts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2020
Fayetteville NC
I've had the 305 in my monte with all the goodies, headers, intake, air filter smog, etc... I currently have a blue print 383, and wouldn't look back at the 305. But i get it.
In your shoes and in my opinion, i would ditch all the smog if not done already. get rid of stock headers so it can breathe. The monte motor will do fine with the EFI. Its a good cruiser motor and will get decent mileage. If you are still worried about meeting the min requirements of the EFI unit, have you thought to switch out the mechanical fan and go electric? Seems that would get you right in the ball park with the specs..
Yeah, it's all de-smoged already. Has the Ramhorn manifolds like it would've had in 64. The electric fan is a good idea, I foolishly hadn't thought of that.

I'd love a 383 for it, and even looked at them yesterday, lol. But I have to keep myself contained "Steve, stop this is not a car for going fast, just a cool cruiser"

Reactions: 1 user

MontesbyE

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2020
North Carolina
Yeah, it's all de-smoged already. Has the Ramhorn manifolds like it would've had in 64. The electric fan is a good idea, I foolishly hadn't thought of that.

I'd love a 383 for it, and even looked at them yesterday, lol. But I have to keep myself contained "Steve, stop this is not a car for going fast, just a cool cruiser"
Cool cruiser is always a good choice. I scored my engine still in the crate On FB Market. Got lucky. The 305 will treat you good. People talk a bunch of sh*t about them, everyone got an opinion ya know.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The only code will be the one stamped on the front right pad near the water pump. It'll be one that starts with C (Cxx) I don't know what it'll be off hand as they change year to year. Now if you know if it came out of a SS then you'll have a L69, base cars had the LG4.
305s very by year. All L69s have 9.5 to 1 CR which is pretty good. Early LG4s have 8.5 CR which isn't good, post 85 LG4s have 9.0 CR. The 305's smaller bore improves its quench so they can run higher CR and more ignition advance without spark knocking than 350s. Through its not enough ofvan advantage to defeat the 350's larger air/fuel charge.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I say put the fuel injection on and give it a shot. If you can't tune it then worry about making changes. The 305 was NET HP rated including all accessories. You got rid of the smog stuff and a little better exhaust and better intake, maybe you're closer than you realize.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A cam will help a lot... but, if you in that deep maybe some better heads (ie. factory L98) are in order too?

Again, your budget will dictate.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Since there's money being thrown around, my PayPal address is [email protected] and I am currently accepting donations.
I sent some, but it was returned with a message indicating the piggy bank was already full.

OP - I'm a little confused on the way to alot confused. You dropped about $1K on a Sniper, but aren't concerned about performance? With no sarcasm, if you want easy, then buy an adapter plate or intake for a 2 barrel and bolt on a freshly rebuilt Rochester 2GC and forget about it forever. Easiest carb to rebuild and tune that I've ever touched. ****note - not a 2G because manual choke sucks hehe.

Ricketts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2020
Fayetteville NC
I sent some, but it was returned with a message indicating the piggy bank was already full.

OP - I'm a little confused on the way to alot confused. You dropped about $1K on a Sniper, but aren't concerned about performance? With no sarcasm, if you want easy, then buy an adapter plate or intake for a 2 barrel and bolt on a freshly rebuilt Rochester 2GC and forget about it forever. Easiest carb to rebuild and tune that I've ever touched. ****note - not a 2G because manual choke sucks hehe.

Yeah, I bought the sniper solely for cold starts and good drivability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor