305 or 350?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

The car is as listed below, 85 GP with 231 V6 and 3 speed.

A guy that I work with is selling a motor from a Monte SS. Stock 86 SS 305 with 4 speed transmission, wiring, etc. He said he'd give it to me for 200 bucks if I came to pick it up. I would've liked to do a 350 more, but wouldn't a 305 be much more of a direct swap since it was already in a G body? I mean, that sounds pretty straight forward. Seems like a good price, but I don't want to buy the motor, install it, and not have it start. Ya know? I kow a 305 isn't as sought after as a 350, but hey, anything's better than that damn 3.8. I figure I could do that swap, do a floor shifter auto conversion, and build the 305 up a little and be pretty respectable.

Input is very highly encouraged!

Thanks guys!!

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Make sure you get the crossmember too. Its different the the 3spd and bolts in a different place. Sounds like a good deal.

RocketMan83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2007
Barrie & Milton, Ontario
I read a post saying 85 and older G bodies don't have the proper brackets to bolt on the 200-4R crossmember to the frame, is this true?

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The holes shouild still be there I believe that the 1 gen gbodys are the ones without the extra holes.78-83 dont have them but 84-88 should.

RocketMan83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2007
Barrie & Milton, Ontario
Thanks for the clarification. I've been planning to drop in a 200-4R and a 350 at some point but my car is a '83. Will I simply have to drill holes for the 200-4R or will I have to fab. actual mounts?

BTW RedHot, where abouts are you located in Ontario?

Kyle

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Not exactly sure I got my info from www.crossmembers.com They sell custom xmembers. This is from there site about the installation of a 200r4 in a 78-83. "Please Note: The 200R4 Transmission was factory installed by GM, beginning with the 1984 Model year in the MONTE CARLO SS. Some '83 Olds 442s were equipped with the 200R4 also. GM altered the common frame configuration to accommodate the longer 200R4. Because the 200R4 crossmember mounting pad is further back than the TH350, a new design, stock crossmember was installed also. This stock crossmember mounts in a new set of holes in the frame on the driver side. The new holes in the frame can be identified as 14 inches rearward of the first set on the driver side frame rail. For reference, the TH350 factory crossmember mounts diagonally across the frame rails while the 200R4 (4spd automatic) crossmember mounts straight across. Therefore, pre 1984 vehicles will require the frame extension kit to install a 200R4 or a TH400 transmission. The TH400 mounts the same as the 200R4. Requires installer to drill two 1/2" holes with the provided template"
hope this helps.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
you can also do it yourself cause the add on bracket is just 2x3" or 2x4" square tubing with holes in it.

all 84^ cars had the bracket so if you arent sure where to weld it to, you can reference from any car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor