305 or 350?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
the th200r4 is a 4spd and the th400,th350,and the th200 are 3pds. the th2004r and the th400 are close to the same length and use the same trans crossmember, and the th350 and th200 are close to each others length and use the same crossmembers but is a different crossmember from the 200r4. if that makes sense.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So I can safely assume the Monte SS 4 speed is the th200r4. Correct? Then if so, what transmission do I have? I'd assume the shitty-est 3 speed made. 85 3 speed that came with the 3.8 V6... Which one's that?

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I think they came with both trannys 200/350 so you would need to check. By the way I think those rims are cragar s/s not ar t/t 2's. They are my favorite rims.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So regardless of the trannyI have, I'll have to replace the crossmember. Really anything besides that, the engine mounts, and a new exhaust? Will the cooling system and everything swap right over? Anything else I should look into? I want to collect the parts so this is as simple as possible...

Also, whatever my stock rear end is, would that be usable with the 305? I know my GP isn't a 3.73 rear or anything like that. Mine's geared more highway cruising I think, as opposed to acceleration. Could I use that stock rear until I can yank a 3.73 from a G body / S-10? What are the differences between the 305/4 speed with the stock rear and the 3.73's?

Lastly, I saw on ebay motors that you can buy just the 3.73 gear set. It's like 70 bucks. Can I just put those into my factory rear end, or do I need to replace the entire thing? I have no idea about this stuff, I'm new to RWD older cars...

Thanks SO much guys!!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor