305 or 350?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropKat44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2006
Glenville, NY
I swapped a 307 for a 305, due primarily because the 307 blows and i had the 305 redily available. I think all you need is mounts and a crossmember(i got, and would suggest the jegs crossmember w/ dual exhaust humps for later mods). My 305 is up in the 275hp range on very light mods and its fun to drive ... but if i behave, its still a 305 and not a 350. I dont see any probs w/ the 305 especially of you have it or can get it cheap (ie $200)

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Nothing really wrong with a 305 that's built right. But..... the old saying still holds true, "no replacement for displacement".

c_unit productions

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2007
florida
if u have access to a welder and some tubing like from a roll cage u can take some angle and the tube and make a x-member. i have went thru the same thing we actually just notched out the cross member a little to clear the pan and it worked fine. but i, would now, do the tube cross member for me its a lot cheaper if u can do it urself.

c_unit productions

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2007
florida
82355supreme said:
Nothing really wrong with a 305 that's built right. But..... the old saying still holds true, "no replacement for displacement".
that is true!!!!! the both use the same crankshaft. i would go with a 350!!!!

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Alright guys... I've been thinking.

I have the 3.8 V6 with 3 speed transmission. What is the transmission code or whatever for that? What's the transmission code for the 4 speed auto that came in the 86 Monte SS that I'm considering buying the power plant from? It sounds like you need a new transmission crossmember for the 5.0 swap, correct? Will you use that same crossmember for a 350 too? Can the 4 speed from that 5.0 bolt onto the 5.7? Because if it can, I'll just need to buy a 350 block the following year, instead of the whole assmembly. That works for me.

Please let me know all this asap! I'm concocting (sp) and idea!

:twisted:

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The crossmember is only different for the trannys. The th200/350 both use the same trns nomatter what engine its bolted too. same for the 200r4/400 is the same crossmember nomatter what engine its bolted too.Its the engine mounts that are different between the v6 and the v8's I believe. But they shouldn't be to much of a problem to get they might even be on the engine your looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor