307 Olds fuel pump install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
I did have my ac compressor off and smog pump loosened. It went in fairly easy, had a little tension on the pump when inserted in the block, then torqued the top stud and it slowly tightened until flush.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Maybe loosen the bracket slightly. Can you get in to the point where you can get the nut on the stud?

Not even close. We're talking half of the lever goes in the hole, then hits solid rock. There's a 2-3" gap between the engine block and the base of the pump.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I did have my ac compressor off and smog pump loosened. It went in fairly easy, had a little tension on the pump when inserted in the block, then torqued the top stud and it slowly tightened until flush.

Sounds like that's the other part of what I need to do. I can't really (or rather, don't want to) take off the A/C compressor. But, the air pump seems to be part of the problem.

It appears the tension bolt is behind the air pump? Then it can slide, that's what it looks like. I was going to keep all the emissions stuff after the engine rebuild, but if you have to do all this to put a fuel pump in, it's all moving into the "remove and destroy" column quickly.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Sounds like that's the other part of what I need to do. I can't really (or rather, don't want to) take off the A/C compressor. But, the air pump seems to be part of the problem.

It appears the tension bolt is behind the air pump? Then it can slide, that's what it looks like. I was going to keep all the emissions stuff after the engine rebuild, but if you have to do all this to put a fuel pump in, it's all moving into the "remove and destroy" column quickly.

You can probably get by with sliding ac compressor all the way toward fender. May give you enough space. The air pump didn’t come off, just took off the one bolt shared by the ac compressor. It detaches from the shared AC bracket not the actual bracket holding the air pump.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Pic from when I was having trouble with installing back everything. Gives you an idea of the space you would have though.
8DCA00B0-06D9-4167-9385-7E7E0E6E53F7.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yes, there it's really impossible to get it upside down.

Seems so incredibly stupid to ask this question, but there's just something really weird going on. Or I haven't wrapped my mind around how or why I would need to remove the secondary air injection pump to get the fuel pump in a slightly different position.
You haven't tried hard enough. It WILL go in upside down. Please don't ask how I know.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Pump in with assistance. Literally took 5 minutes. Apparently the pump needs to be turned sideways when installed.

Also, the steel fuel line from the pump to the carburetor is only good if it's a factory one. The Inline Tube replacement is in the general shape it needs to be, but ultimately does not fit whatsoever. If it was made with Ni-Copp easy-bend tubing, it would probably be ok. So, the $40+ replacement tube is missing about 4" in the middle, replaced with rubber hose. Hose isn't good, but not being able to get one end threaded if the other is doesn't work.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I used a Supercars Unlimited hard line, it fits. Strange you had to twist the pump so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor