350 / 290 crate engine fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just me wondering if you have done the post-mortem on your corpsical yet and what the verdict on that dead cylinder proved out to be?

Nick
The OP doesn't seem too inclined to reply.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
Like others said , investigate why a dead cylinder , could be as easy as stuck valve, wiped cam lobe .. pull a valve cover and figure it out .

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
Oh I am also swapping out my 3.08 gears for 3.42 limited slip to go with my 2004r trans.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Huh. Still hasn't posted the results of the post-mortem on that dead cylinder,. Coroner must have stepped out for a three martini lunch and not made it back to the dead zone yet.

Nick

• Agree

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
3.42, by all accounts, is a nice ratio for both cruising and gittin' 'er done. Have you decided on what version of a limited slip you plan to use? Asking because it is a project that i have been thinking about for a while myself. There is a spare 10 bolt on my storage rack that could easily serve as a candidate for the work.

Nick

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I have the same 350/290 , never been happy with the Performance (dog) so currently planning a revamp .
replace 76cc heads with 64cc to bump CR to 9.2 with a thin head gasket . also ditching the factory exhaust manifolds for Smog legal shorty's (california)
Here's a nice right up by MotorTrend on this motor and getting more out of it . https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/350290-crate-engine-project-great-part-1/
I'm curious if anyone else has dyno'd one of these. I usually take westech at face value, but I have a hard time believing 320 HP with just headers.

Still too expensive, unless you place a premium on an "all new" engine....IMO

Reactions: 1 user

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
Was this the 265 HP or the 290HP? How is the power and drivability of the Elco? I'm looking at this option now for a daily driver, not looking for much power but even the 265 will double what I have now. Thanks in advance.
290hp short block, Edelbrock performer intake and Holley Avenger carb finished it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor