350 engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
bill said:
lildhix said:
dogshit said:
Burnhard hit it on the head. You had the cart ahead of the horse nobody can answer that well without knowing your goals for the car. In your pics you list your engine picture as a ho (olds) 307 but the picture looks like it is a chevy 305 as there is no oil fill tube up front. You are going to want a motor and a transmission because now is the time to do it to save time and labor and the 200 is a weak pos that will most likely only live a short time behind anything much stronger than stock. Guessing on the experience level based on what you have said so far I would say a crate engine with a warranty is a good idea. How good is your credit are you working can you finance a motor if you have to or do you have some money saved up to work with?
on that note. its go be a b :twisted: tch to find a combo thats not 10,000
for what its worth,
I found a sbo 350 with a th400 for 350.00... had it rebuilt.. new bearings, rings, camshaft, lifters, harmonic balancer, oil pump, timing chain, heads reworked, crank turned....for less than 1200.00. added a few more goodies that i wanted, but didnt need...put the costs up to about 2g's. But, instead of having a remanufuctard weak v-6 or 30(fill in the number), ive got a nice sounding, torque welding, tire shredding ROCKET!!!...ok...ill shut up....
Seriously...If I were you, Id find a 1969-1973 Olds 350 or any older SBC 350 and rebuild it, you wont be sorry. And, an Olds will fit almost exactly like the 307 did, so id try to find one of those first....Just my two cents and good luck!
yea i just gotta find one

well...i live out in the stix...so if I can find one, anybody can...lol. craigslist is a good source and your local salvage yard too....

Get a running 350 olds. Throw it in after a minor overhaul, gaskets, timing set etc. Run it, if your daily driving with the occasional romp and not constantly beating the piss out of it your transmission will work ok. Or you could look around for a BPO th350 and put it on at the same time. If you want a new engine and want to buy a chevy then buy a nice crate, get a chevy bolt patter transmission and put it in, it is not rocket science and it is not hard to find Chevy pattern transmissions that will work easily.

Getting out in the junkyard and looking around is your friend imo...They put olds motors in a couple different gm's...i found a olds 350 with 8 heads at a junk yard...found a g body cutlass with a sbo350, 77 cutlass coupe 350 (bad 7a heads)...78 cadillac seville 8 heads...77 350 good 7a heads...another 78 8 heads 350...and a delta custom 455 c heads and 1bbl carb intake...they are out there

If this is your daily driver you might want to think about gas mileage as much as hp. You also need a budget and a goal for your daily driver.I would not buy or build an engine that could not run on reg pump gas.Can you do the work yourself?

bill said:
well...i live out in the stix...so if I can find one, anybody can...lol. craigslist is a good source and your local salvage yard too....
not getting one from a salvage yard

CHRIS.O said:
Get a running 350 olds. Throw it in after a minor overhaul, gaskets, timing set etc. Run it, if your daily driving with the occasional romp and not constantly beating the piss out of it your transmission will work ok. Or you could look around for a BPO th350 and put it on at the same time. If you want a new engine and want to buy a chevy then buy a nice crate, get a chevy bolt patter transmission and put it in, it is not rocket science and it is not hard to find Chevy pattern transmissions that will work easily.
yea i just gotta find a good one idk who makes the best ones so im going to autopart stores

Well when you figure out for sure what you want to do take your time and research if possible. I would probably stay away from the parts stores for an engine. I worked at a company that sold Marshall Engines. They weren't all rebuilt. They simply replaced what was needed and that is it, if it got away with a hone they did that, if the rods checked out they just put them back in. Not necessarily a horrible thing but we had a handful of warranty claims when I was at the company selling them. If I were to buy a crate I would want new or actually rebuilt not an overhaul. A lot of the parts store engine suppliers are like that. I can tell you this though, from the experience I have with my friends GM crate I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. He actually had to have warranty work on it that was his own fault and they took care of it free of charge.

lildhix said:
bill said:
not getting one from a salvage yard
what area of the US do you live? just curious...lots of stuff here on the east coast if you are willing to drive a bit.

All you have to do is call a place that builds OLDS engines ( like Rocket Racing ) and ask them for a motor. They should have plenty of them laying around. If you want it rebuilt, then they could do that for you too. You might have to pay shipping depending on where you're at, but that's the way it is.

For people having trouble locating Olds engines, I said it before and I'll say it again; join an OLDS only forum. There's bound to be someone there who's in your area that has an Olds engine or two laying around.

If you lived in the Cleveland area, I'd give you a great deal on my VIN 9 307 with less than 30k miles that runs strong ( it's currently in my friends car temporarily ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor