350 swap in cali wiring,computer,emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
ok guys i have the 231 v6 in my 83 cutlass. i have a chance to buy a sbc 350 and transmission. the thing is i live in cali and cali emissions suck so this swap has to be right. the computer thing is what i dont understand.
do i just buy the new engine/transmission and just drop it in and take the car to a smog station. how will the computer thing effet my car, do i need it or not..im really not sure about any of this computer stuff.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
I'm not sure of the CA details, but it will prob require the 350 thats newer than your car, the 350 emissions also. They have to function. I would prob tell them its a 305 and put all the Monte emissions on it. Emissions, air pump, cat, everything to get it to pass. Theres usually some emissions kits for sale on MonteCarloSS.com if it helps. I have mine laying in the garage right now, but no pics.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I totally agree with the above post. I wouldn't worry about the computer crap, but I'd make sure the carb is tuned lean to pass the sniffer. If you're going to use headers you'll have to use Edelbrocks TES headers for the Monte SS. They have the provisions for the A.I.R. injection.

Also forget about adding a cam with anything over .440 lift & 210* duration. :(

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
82355supreme said:
I totally agree with the above post. I wouldn't worry about the computer crap, but I'd make sure the carb is tuned lean to pass the sniffer. If you're going to use headers you'll have to use Edelbrocks TES headers for the Monte SS. They have the provisions for the A.I.R. injection.

Also forget about adding a cam with anything over .440 lift & 210* duration. :(

:cry: yeah i know i cant do a cam. so your sayin i have to find something between 83 and 88. that sucks i guess my plans for buying that 72 sbc is out.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
No,no,no, you can buy a '72 SBC 350. The headers will just have to the Edelbrock TES for the 83-88 SS.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
In California, you must have EVERYTHING in the same place it would be in a stock installation! This includes the computer and the proper computer harness, all of the sensors and the Catalytic convertor. What year 350 is it and what did it come out of? This may be important as it may affect what you need to have in terms of emissions equipment. I would call what I believe is called a "referee station" out there as they must certify swaps before you can be tested. Ask them what is and is not legal in your state. It's a major pain, but it's easier to ask questions now than have to undo everything later. Remember that California has the dreaded IM 240 test which test the car both loaded and unloaded, and they also do a visual inspection to verify the presence of the proper equipment. My 350 for 3.8 swap was initially done to be 95% legal because I feared my state would start testing for emissions again, so I pulled everything from a 1985 Grand Prix with a 305 to be sure I had all the pieces. My only omissions were the AIR tube to the single cat and that I had a 350 instead of a 305. I even had a smog legal cam in it, and the Edelbrock smog legal headers.I dunno if it would have passed in Cali, but fortunately I don't have to find out any time soon either. I now have a non EGR Performer intake, non computer HEI, a non Computer Quadrajet and have removed the AIR injection system-but I kept it all just in case.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
In California, you must have EVERYTHING in the same place it would be in a stock installation!

That's absolutely correct. You can swap a newer (ie, cleaner) engine but you MUST include all the equipment that was installed on the newer engine. That means the computer, wire harness, carb or injectors, catalytic converter, EVERYTHING must be installed as part of the swap. You then need to go to a referee station where they will check part numbers and casting numbers to ensure the swap was done correctly. If you plan to use aftermarket parts, they must have a C.A.R.B. Exemption Order number for the year of the engine.

On the other hand, it is completely legal to swap a late model LS-series motor into an early car, so long as all the emissions equipment is included.

916 dre

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2007
sacramento
i live in cali to so if i buy a new 350 crate motor where do you buy a new computer for it so i will be smog legal

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
916 dre said:
i live in cali to so if i buy a new 350 crate motor where do you buy a new computer for it so i will be smog legal

You need the complete computer, wire harness, sensors, cat converter, evaporative cannister, etc, etc from an 87 or newer car with a 350 that's CA legal. Some crate motors are not emissions legal for some years, so you'd better check before buying. It's usually cheaper to buy a complete wrecked parts car and swap everything over. 350 cop cars are a good source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor