350 TPI/700R4 into '86 442

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI,
I am in the process of swapping a TPI/700R4 out of a '90 Vette into my 442. I have almost everything figured out, but I think I will need a drive shaft. Is there a drop in drive shaft that I can junkyard? Or will my existing drive shaft still work? I am not expecting it to, but I thought I'd see if anyone has done it before. I already have a source on having one built, but was looking to save some cash.
Thanks in advance,
David

Gbodyolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
have your driveshaft cut down it sould only cost you about 100bucks. If you want a direct fit drive shaft get one from a 67-69 Camaro with a Turbo 400.

Gbodyolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
ok forget what I just said, I just re-read your post your 442 should have an 8.5 rear which would mean a camaro drive shaft will be 1" too long, If you had a 7.5 rear the camaro shaft would be a direct bolt in.

87AeroSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2006
Wisconsin
I believe with a 700R4 you will need a custom driveshaft, and I the other thing I would be concerned with is the trans mount location.. I personally would switch to a 200- 4R. The 200-4R--with its multi-use capabilities--will mount to any standard bellhousing-equipped GM engine (Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile) and is an extremely efficient transmission when it comes to putting the power to rear wheels. The 200-4R features less internal rotating mass and a lower inertia level that will not rob your high-performance engine of precious horsepower. The 200-4R, I believe, has better gear ratios With less of a dropoff between 1st and 2nd.

Gbodyolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
Gbodyolds said:
Just noticed this on MCSS thought you might be interested
The crossmember you will need to install a 700R4 in a G body is for sale here
http://www.montecarloss.com/ubb/ultimat ... 5;t=006485
Thanks, but I already have the peices to make my own. Thanks, for the link to the site though, I had been looking for it, but was not having any luck.
I plan on keeping my drive shaft intact incase I reinstall the motor and transmission down the road. My car has only 54K on it and I got it from the original owner.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
How is the swap coming along?

I'm not sure about the drive shaft you need. I did the swap with the 5spd and had to shorten my drive shaft 3 inches.

It's going a little slower than I'd hoped. I really wanted it in and done in time for the Woodward Dream Cruise, but I don't see that as a possibility anymore.
I have the motor painted and most of the parts ready to go back on, but sinceI missed my deadline, I will probably do more detail work on them first. I still need to put a set of electric fans together and wired, and install the harness on the motor. I plan on cleaning and detailing under the hood before the eng/transmission go in.
All this stuff takes me longer than I think it will, and I want to keep the car driveable as long as I can, atleast until the new eng/transmission are assembled and ready to install.
David

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
sounds good. are you taking any pics along the way?

That sounds like a good idea, I think I will. I'll see if i can get some of the car up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor