36 mm iroc sway bar upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

80_lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2015
hello all, Im currently in the middle of a frame off build on my 1980 pontiac lemans.(pics and build thread coming as soon as i get my phone fixed so i can post pics)
So far i have the frame on jack stands beautifully powder coated and most of my suspension parts are cleaned, painted, new bushings, etc. I am using the iroc moog 5662 front springs and iroc cargo coils in the rear along with kdb gas a just shocks. Stock lower a arms w/ rubber bushings and stock spindles along with "g body parts" upper a arms. For bracing Im using the f41 jounce bars along with the "Grand Prix" brace. My question is will I have clearance issues with the grand prix brace and the 36mm sway bar? I would like to run trans am 16' rims but haven't gotten any yet, still only have the stock 14 inch rims. I will also be running a monte carlo ss quick ratio steering box.

Would also love to hear from those who have done similar front end setups what kind of performance and ride quality I can expect from this setup. I definitely care more about handling than ride comfort. Any additional upgrade info greatly appreciated. Would love to beat the rice burners at their own game lol

If the GP bar is the only issue then I would make a thicker one that clears better, mine I made to clear my trans cooler and oil lines.
I made my own using a Harbor Freight tubing bender and then I made a jig for my press to crimp the ends
I also made new thicker jounce bars and fender to core support braces using this method.

IMG_0246.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 259
WOW nice work! They look just like factory! Did you originally run the gp brace and have clearance issues?

By how close the gp brace is to your sway bar in the pic i assume there probably is clearance issues using the factory parts..

I currently have the same setup as you describe....36mm GTA hollow front swaybar, jounce bars, and GP crossbar. There's no clearance issues whatsoever. I'm also using 15 x 7 steel wheels.

By how close the gp brace is to your sway bar in the pic i assume there probably is clearance issues using the factory parts..
I get that a lot with that picture which is deceiving there is at least 1-1/2 " clearance or more with a Hellwig 1-5/16" front swaybar.

I currently have the same setup as you describe....36mm GTA hollow front swaybar, jounce bars, and GP crossbar. There's no clearance issues whatsoever. I'm also using 15 x 7 steel wheels.

Ok cool, thats exactly what i was hoping to hear. THANKS GUYS!

• Dislike
Reactions: v2vera
Also what springs and shocks are you guys running? and what kind of bar are you running in the rear? right now i have a rear bar i got from the junkyard, pretty sure there is better out there tho. I would like the car to have a well balanced feel to it and like i said, handling definitely way higher on the priorities list than comfort:mrgreen:

I'm using the stock 7/8" rear bar, nothing fancy, but effective. KYB Gas-adjust shocks, cargo coils in the rear...but of course, I have a wagon...different animal.
Once the car is together and running/driving, you'll have to feel for yourself if that combination is acceptable to you.

I'm running the 36MM F body sway bar on my '84 Monte, with the F41 jounce bars, but not the Grand Prix bar. Everything fits OK. I got the bushings for the frame mounts for the bar from a company called Top Down Solutions in California. They make bushings that will fit the 36MM bar, and fit in the O.E. frame brackets, and you can drill the brackets and install a grease fitting, so you can grease the mounts. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor