El Caminos and sway bars

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have extra 1.75" roll bar tubing so I used that and welded in 1/4" plate for the mounts to make my rear frame bar for my Regal.

1701636573386.png

Reactions: 5 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
The same can be applied to the front too if you want
I've got my stuff out in the garage when I finally get my build done. got the jounce bars, the radiator X-bars, the firewall/fender and fender /core bars, the front and rear F41 sway bars. don't think I have the Monte Carlo Grand Prix bar that ties the frame horns and jounce bars together, those are pretty hard to find.

edit: fixed stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
don't think I have the Monte Carlo bar that ties the frame horns and jounce bars together
I believe you're talking about the Grand Prix bar, and yeah they're kinda rare. There are aftermarket setups that are the equivalent of that and the jounce bars together, or you can tie them together yourself by making your own G.P. bar. I managed to snag a G.P. bar last year and it's the only one I've seen in the last 2 years.

Reactions: 4 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I believe you're talking about the Grand Prix bar, and yeah they're kinda rare. There are aftermarket setups that are the equivalent of that and the jounce bars together, or you can tie them together yourself by making your own G.P. bar. I managed to snag a G.P. bar last year and it's the only one I've seen in the last 2 years.
fixed my post, GP is correct

Steve C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
My 78 SS El Cam came with a rear sway bar and additional bracing.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
My 78 SS El Cam came with a rear sway bar and additional bracing.
Good to know, thanks. My '78 Elk came with the rear bar but a small diameter front bar, no jounce bars but the holes had threads so they were mounted at some point, and my suspension was absolute garbage. I'm not sure how much of that was from the P.O. swapping parts to the one in his garage though.

Steve C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
Good to know, thanks. My '78 Elk came with the rear bar but a small diameter front bar, no jounce bars but the holes had threads so they were mounted at some point, and my suspension was absolute garbage. I'm not sure how much of that was from the P.O. swapping parts to the one in his garage though.
I upgraded The rear suspension to UMI 15 years ago, and install coilovers last year. The front suspension a-arms were gusseted 25 years ago, but I am looking at replacing it with QA1 arms and shocks. I am trying not to go overboard. My El Cam is a unicorn. I am the second owner. The options are a non California SS with a 4 speed manual and Posi 3.08 rear end. I have the build sheet.

• Wow

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I upgraded The rear suspension to UMI 15 years ago, and install coilovers last year. The front suspension a-arms were gusseted 25 years ago, but I am looking at replacing it with QA1 arms and shocks. I am trying not to go overboard. My El Cam is a unicorn. I am the second owner. The options are a non California SS with a 4 speed manual and Posi 3.08 rear end. I have the build sheet.
I’ve only seen one of those but not the SS. Was out of Lawrence , Massachusetts and a friend of my dad’s.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess what makes the GP bar so rare, is that they were only equipped on GPs. I remember Savistky used to make and sell the GP type brace with the jounce bars already attached, It looked like a nicely made piece... I'm using the old fashioned method of bolting them together. It seems to be very effective and didn't cost an arm and a leg.;)
Along with the other GM factory bars, they seem to work well together.

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor