El Caminos and sway bars

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Am I mistaken, or did no G body El Caminos come with rear sway bars? Was behind an 87 Cutlass tonite and saw the rear sway bar and got to thinking. My 84 and the 87 with f41 also don't have rear sway bars. I've owned 3 Monte Carlos 79 83 85, 1 85 Regal and 2 88 Cutlasses and they all had them, but neither of the 2 Elcos. Can someone shed some light on this?

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This was brought up not to long ago. I was digging into things & I didn't find any info sayimg they came with one. I'm thinking since they had air shocks standard the engineers didn't see the need for both. Now I do believe the Olds self leveling option which uses same/simular air shocks did have a rear bar with the F41 but I've never seen one. I know the Olds guys will correct this if I'm wrong. GM should of put them on the option list.

Reactions: 3 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Got under and checked and of course the mounting holes are on the trailing arms. Both elcos have air shocks(seems like most do).

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It's rare not to see the mounting holes. Even the uppers have the hole for the auto leveling switch arm.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
correct, all they ever got performance-wise was a front sway bar and quick ratio steering. everything else pretty much has to be pulled from other G-bodies

Reactions: 1 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Looks like I'm in the market for ANY rear sway bar and bolts. The front end is nice and tight since I added radiator x brace, jounce bars and tightened the front header panel/body mounts to frame. The rear wants to roll badly in turns, the blown out air shocks don't help.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Because my 87 was a base model, it had none of the extra suspension parts. This week, I am in the process of installing Hellwig front (55700) and rear (55809) tubular sway bars on my 87 El Camino. The sway bars are the last pieces from my SC&C Pro Touring suspension kit. Prior to deciding to buy the SC&C kit, I did a lot of online research and one of the comments made by an owner was "the car tracked like it was on rails". I can't wait to do a road test!

Reactions: 1 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Because my 87 was a base model, it had none of the extra suspension parts. This week, I am in the process of installing Hellwig front (55700) and rear (55809) tubular sway bars on my 87 El Camino. The sway bars are the last pieces from my SC&C Pro Touring suspension kit. Prior to deciding to buy the SC&C kit, I did a lot of online research and one of the comments made by an owner was "the car tracked like it was on rails". I can't wait to do a road test!
You still had a front sway bar though, right?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
A few years ago, I swapped out my 87 frame for one from an 84 due to extensive frame rust. I can't remember if the original 87 had a front sway bar but the 84 did not have one.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor