BUILD THREAD 36x48x14 Shop Build Update 2/20/2024, Tire Machine is Finished!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I also removed the pedal assembly to clean, and free up the pedals as they were really stiff from corrosion. I have 2 replacement air manifolds on the way.

20240130_171428.jpg

20240130_174348.jpg

20240130_201847.jpg

More parts arriving today so I can replace the air lines with the correct metric lines which are 8, 10, and 12mm, a new air regulator/dryer/lubricator, 2 gauges, and a few fittings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Shop update. Finally finished up refurbishing the tire machine! Note I didn't repaint the whole machine, just a few select things and a decent cleaning. A rundown of the items repaired:

I have replaced all the air lines, as they were replaced before with SAE tubing, and were brittle and misrouted. The air lines on this are 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm, all used in different spots. This is important because the push lock fittings were all leaking from the incorrect OD tubing being used. I had to replace a majority of the push lock fittings as well from this issue.

The rim clamps have all been blasted, painted, and lubed for free operation. I also cup wire wheeled the table and wiped down with WD40 to protect it from rust.

I order pre coiled tubing for the tire inflator nozzles. I tried to coil my own tubing, but filed miserably. Strait hose (like was there) were just dragging the machine while the table spun an was distressing the fittings.

The rim clamp cylinders were leaking at the cylinder end caps and air line banjo fittings. So, I disassembled the cylinders, cleaned them, replaced the end cap O-rings, and used new nylon/plastic seals on the air line banjo fittings.

The foot pedal air valves were leaking, this was caused by stripped out threads where the push lock fittings thread into. Likely caused by the person who haphazardly replaced the air lines previously. I sourced these from amazon fairly easily.

The pedal cover plate was blasted, repainted, and a new decal was applied.

The overpressure relief valve on the tank was leaking, this just required a good cleaning to get the O-ring to seal again. I also replaced the tank gauge with a fresh one for my older eyes.

The air pressure regulator, dryer, and oiler was leaking pretty much everywhere, so I bought a more compact replacement and installed it with a better mounting tab, the original mounting was janky.

I purchased a new lube bucket, and fabricated a mounting bracket to keep it in place.

The inflator gauge housing was plastic, destroyed, and the gauge was barely legible. So, I bought a larger gauge for a Coats machine, and fabricated a new steel box to house it. While I was there, I replaced the inflator hose with a better quality hose.

I also re-tapped the side cover threads as the holes were stripped out.

I had to straiten out the feet to keep the machine firmly planted on the floor and get rid of the rocking it used to have.

Lastly, but not all installed yet, are nylon/plastic rim savers. These are placed on the rim clams, the duck head, and the bead breaker (already installed).

A few pics, I still need to do some final cleaning:

20240219_193109.jpg

20240219_193127.jpg

20240219_193100.jpg

20240219_193104.jpg

20240219_193056.jpg

This machine will get USED, and is a great addition to my shop! Now, to get a wheel balancer! I am pleased with the purchase, as they are fetching 1K plus used depending on the shape, and I have $600 all in on this machine. I also have the piece of mind knowing this is effectively a mechanically new machine, and should last my lifetime.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Man, I'd love to have a Coats machine in the garage. That's just excellent!

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Are you going to be getting the rubber for the arm that goes onto the wheel so it doesn't mess up your wheels? Our is all plastic and constantly bends, wish ours was rebuilt to your level we purchased a refurbed one from an online dealer. It has never been right, it runs out of marbles so you have to manually help it along

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Are you going to be getting the rubber for the arm that goes onto the wheel so it doesn't mess up your wheels? Our is all plastic and constantly bends, wish ours was rebuilt to your level we purchased a refurbed one from an online dealer. It has never been right, it runs out of marbles so you have to manually help it along
Yes sir, I have those on order. I have the cover for the bead break shovel on there already. This machine has the metal Duck head with the bearing, but like you stated, that has a tendency to mess up wheels.

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Yes sir, I have those on order. I have the cover for the bead break shovel on there already. This machine has the metal Duck head with the bearing, but like you stated, that has a tendency to mess up wheels.
Did you order the rubber for the clamps too? I usually end up gripping the outside of the wheels so it doesn't eat into the inside of the metal on the wheels but can cause the wheel to twist once you put a good bit of pressure to it to mount some of the bigger wheels. Been meaning to get around to ordering those rubbers for the clamps just haven't done it yet

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Did you order the rubber for the clamps too? I usually end up gripping the outside of the wheels so it doesn't eat into the inside of the metal on the wheels but can cause the wheel to twist once you put a good bit of pressure to it to mount some of the bigger wheels. Been meaning to get around to ordering those rubbers for the clamps just haven't done it yet
Sure did!

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
.Been meaning to get around to ordering those rubbers
You're living dangerously by not wearing rubbers. Bad things happen when you don't.

Life advice to live by.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor