BUILD THREAD 36x48x14 Shop Build Update 2/20/2024, Tire Machine is Finished!

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Dude, I'm so jealous of what you're accomplishing right now- a lathe is another dream tool for my shop. Excellent, excellent progress.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thank you! It's only taken longer that I'd like to admit, but, I am enjoying the progress.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Cute little lathe! Once you have one you don't know how you lived without one

Reactions: 3 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Cute little lathe! Once you have one you don't know how you lived without one
That's what I am figuring! I used to (12 yeas ago) have access to some nice machine tools on base till we changed missions, so they all went away. I made alot of stuff for my projects after hours, and definitely miss that ability. I have to relearn myself on how to use it, shape the HSS tooling, etc., but that wont take too long.

I have made jigs to use grinders and such on my bench for turning things, this will be SOOOOO much better!

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
That's because you refused to buy a simple qjet for the monte....
Q-jets?? Simple??? An H-D Marvel-Schebler Linkert is simple. Q-jets? you ever seen the book of parts numbers for Q-jests? Every year of production, different division, same carb, but different part number in the parts manual. The core body might be common but try scoring parts without that cute little tin metal tag that used to come with the carb from the factory,,,,,,,,,,,,,No tag, have Fun?!?!?!

Nick

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Q-jets?? Simple??? An H-D Marvel-Schebler Linkert is simple. Q-jets? you ever seen the book of parts numbers for Q-jests? Every year of production, different division, same carb, but different part number in the parts manual. The core body might be common but try scoring parts without that cute little tin metal tag that used to come with the carb from the factory,,,,,,,,,,,,,No tag, have Fun?!?!?!

Nick
Nick, you have to follow our little saga with mclellan.... although, I still think I'm on the winning side. Under $500 would've bought a respectably rebuilt unit by someone who knew what they were doing, instead he bought a Sniper and it's related parts, which, led to a dead engine and thus a new engine being build, and, not a new FI Manifold and management system yet again.

Qjet would've been simpler and cheaper, and, I'm sticking to it ;)

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Sticking to it, or stuck with it? And yeah, I have sort of been keeping tabs on the ongoing saga of the mclellan, although my attention can be easily diverted from it to other, maybe more intriguing, things that can and do pop up at random on the board.

As for the Q-jet boondoggle, the key here is your phrase, "Under $500 would've bought a respectably rebuilt unit by someone who knew what they were doing." The emphasis here ought to be properly laid on that "someone who knew what they were doing." In my experience, the genuinely capable are few and far between and, given their relative rarity, can tend to command fatter numbers for their work than a paltry five bills.

Nick

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I'm still trying to figure out what's happening, haha

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor