BUILD THREAD 36x48x14 Shop Build Update 2/20/2024, Tire Machine is Finished!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I've stated in my Wagon Build thread that I am building a new post frame (pole barn) shop in the back of my land. I have been working out of my 32x25x10 attached garage, and need to get out of it! Stage one of Mehl's Mountain Garage-mahal is a 36x48x14 heated section, with 2 10x10 doors and a man door. I have received the permits, have the funding, and already prepped the site for the building. I am strapped for time, and help, I am not erecting the building, I have a company doing it. Besides, after factoring in a kit, equipment rentals and such, it was only a few grand more to pay a crew to do it. I will however be doing the data, electrical, HVAC, and possibly the metal/drywall interior. I am leaning towards spray foam for insulation, though I am still pricing out options. The concrete I have yet to secure a company, it is to much for me to do alone. Though, I may prep it and just have someone pour and finish it to save cash.

The materials showed up this week, and the crew is scheduled to be here next week to begin, weather permitting as it has begun to rain.

Reactions: 10 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Some pics.

These trees needed to come down and the topsoil needed to be scraped off. It was 6-10 inches thick in spots, this land has been untouched before I bought and built on it. After the topsoil was removed, 10 triaxles of compactable fill were delivered kinda close (1000 ft give or take a 100ft away), and transported via skid steer to the location, an absolute mission! It tore the ground up pretty good also.

20230129_131304.jpg

20230129_131254.jpg

20230129_131251.jpg

E42 Mini-X for the win, just pushing over pines and sadly a few birch.

20230317_185644.jpg

20230317_180620.jpg

20230317_180627.jpg

20230318_132927.jpg

I didn't get many pics of the leveled (within 2 inches) and graded site, but I will later.

20230321_114812.jpg

The path through the aptly named "Tent City", a mud fest for now!

20230129_131258.jpg

Building materials, managed to get them close to the site.

20230321_114807.jpg

The trusses are a different story. They are 48' (or 50' since there are 1' overhangs) and the came on a semi. No WAY I was getting that truck back there. So he had to drop em in my front yard, the contractors will move them.

20230322_115451.jpg

20230322_120023.jpg

20230322_120644.jpg

More pics as the work progresses!

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow I'm jealous! Looks like you'll end up with quite a shop.
If I can recommend two things. Do the spray foam. Second best would be 2" foam board cut and placed between joists, poles etc. Other would be to install hydronic pex in your slab, even if you think you're going to use forced hot air. But only if you plan to keep it heated all winter. Heat up time is poor for a heated slab. Lot of mass to heat up. You can't put the pex in after the concrete is poured of course. Having worked in a shop that had heated floors, it's flat out amazing. Open a door, pull a vehicle in. Temp drops of course. 5 seconds later it's back up to temp. That doesn't happen with forced air.

Reactions: 10 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So with spray foam, is there a need for a vapor barrier? All the "how to insulate your pole barn" and "how to add a lean to to your pole barn" are 100% done by hacks who don't use any drip edge (or cut through siding to anchor directly to studs) or vapor barrier. It's pretty bad when someone who's not a builder can spot that from a mile away.

Reactions: 1 users

WyoGN

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2022
So with spray foam, is there a need for a vapor barrier? All the "how to insulate your pole barn" and "how to add a lean to to your pole barn" are 100% done by hacks who don't use any drip edge (or cut through siding to anchor directly to studs) or vapor barrier. It's pretty bad when someone who's not a builder can spot that from a mile away.
at enough depth, it can be....9 in. in the ceiling can keep you from venting the roof. A big plus in fire prone areas. no sparks getting in the attic

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
If I can recommend two things. Do the spray foam. Second best would be 2" foam board cut and placed between joists, poles etc. Other would be to install hydronic pex in your slab, even if you think you're going to use forced hot air. But only if you plan to keep it heated all winter. Heat up time is poor for a heated slab. Lot of mass to heat up. You can't put the pex in after the concrete is poured of course. Having worked in a shop that had heated floors, it's flat out amazing. Open a door, pull a vehicle in. Temp drops of course. 5 seconds later it's back up to temp. That doesn't happen with forced air.
I would tell you to consider at least putting the pex in the slab. If you change your mind later on, it's at least already there.

I've been in some garages with heated floors, you could take a nap on the floor.

Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
You're making me jelly. I'm a couple years out but crunching numbers and scouring code for my own house then pole barn build right now. Sub'd.
Thank you, this has been a long time coming! My old house wouldn't allow me to do this, and with deployments, and military duties, I am just now able to do this! I am very excited!

Thank you! I have a few quotes for spray foam, I am also going to hit the energy/insulation company who did my house. One way or the other, this shop will be air tight, since air leaks are the king off all heat transfer and loss. My cousin's husband (neighbor), is a master plumber who I work for on my days off. We are looking into to doing this exact thing. As you stated, it's easy to do now, though the insulation is not that cheap.

I would tell you to consider at least putting the pex in the slab. If you change your mind later on, it's at least already there.

I've been in some garages with heated floors, you could take a nap on the floor.
I agree, and I am leaning heavily towards this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
According to the spray foam guys, no need for one where the foam is getting sprayed, since the foam essentially is the vapor barrier when cured.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor