3800 Super&Turbo Charged

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I didn't know holden had supercharged theirs. i know they had 4.2 l cranks. I sort of want one but it seems they are expensive and uncommon here

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I like rwd blower 3800's :)

I've tossed around the idea of pulling my mid 12 second capable drivetrain out of my rusty 4th gen into my Cutlass.

Cool setup, though the blower is pretty small so unlikely to provide much help beyond 4000rpm.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yup, Holden put the SC in RWD cars, and I think you can get the elbow for about $140.

Sadly I wish.

The entire blower casting is unique to Aussie cars.

If you want to sit the engine in a stock front to back setting your going to have to do a lot of cutting or run no brake booster on a left hand drive car.

• Sad

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Just use the naturally aspirated top end and turbo charge it. The you don't have to worry about the small blower issues. Guy I knew had a front drive Regal GS that he removed the blower and turbocharged. It ran mid 10's. It helped that he was a transmission builder as the 4T65's are fragile

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Sadly I wish.

The entire blower casting is unique to Aussie cars.

If you want to sit the engine in a stock front to back setting your going to have to do a lot of cutting or run no brake booster on a left hand drive car.
Glad I never went down the rabbit hole!

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
When my Regal GS rust to peices (like five years) I am thinking about putting my engine in a four door G Body. I have a complete set up from a 96 Commaro. I also have a low mile 3800 series two sitting on an engine stand. The plan was when I blew up the 3.8 in the Monte I was going to go series two with a turbo. With the new engine I have more options, but only one transmission. I like playing with boosted six cylinders, because the older guys hate it and it is something different. I for one would like to hear more about that car.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
A 4th gen is tighter than a G body but it's not a bolt in deal for a G body either sadly.

It's real fun and unique though! Its a potent setup in a small package. It really is best for like an Opel GT, Saab Sonet or something RWD and small from the 70's. I almost feel like its a waste in a G body for as spacious as it is under hood. If I were to put one in a G I would do a turbo and take up more engine bay.

1587776554767.png

1587776585588.png

Reactions: 4 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I have one under my bench with a PCM and all the accessories. It's a knocker like many of the stick motors out there. Been dying to do something with it. I also have a couple extra 3rd gen Firebirds. I planned to keep one and finish parting the other. If some kind soul steered me to an Aussie motor I could be persuaded to make a bad choice. Just sayin

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have one under my bench with a PCM and all the accessories. It's a knocker like many of the stick motors out there. Been dying to do something with it. I also have a couple extra 3rd gen Firebirds. I planned to keep one and finish parting the other. If some kind soul steered me to an Aussie motor I could be persuaded to make a bad choice. Just sayin
Grab a BCM and measure the pellet in the key off one of those 'birds; thank me later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor