383 Small Block Chevy vs. Iron Block LS1 6.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

81boowagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2009
Ok heres the goal: streetable 500rwhp (675-700 to the crank) with boost. Either turbo or procharger. Blow through carb.
Any ideas or opinions what do yall think?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
turbo or supercharge the LS block hands down, but keep the EFI. EFI is always better, and with a turbo, trying to get the carb tuned correctly will be a major PITA. with EFI it's relatively easy.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
2 words I noticed in your post was "streetable" and "carb". In my opinion if you go with a carb, stick with the 383. What you say?!! The advantages an LS has over a 383 is better flowing heads and a more advanced EFI system. If you take out one of the best injection systems ever developed, just get better heads for the 383 if either one is going to be carbed. With the LS, you'll still have to either run the computer for the timing control or adapt a distributor to it too.

I'd eventually like to reach the same goals. It would be with an EFI'd LS and some type of power adder. My opinion, the EFI is what really makes these hi-horse engines truly "streetable". Once tuned out, you'll never get a carb to match it on the street. Yeah you might be able to get the same or better peak HP numbers with a carb, but "streetable" is more than peak numbers. EFI puts the drivability back in. Go watch some videos on Nelson Racing Engines.com. They may also have some on YouTube. They are pumping out some 1000 - 2000 HP street engines and actually driving them on the street. It's amazing how docile these engines are with EFI.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
gen 1 small block - lower cost and you're just making more work for yourself with the LS. Sensors, harness, etc b.s. no thanks

By the way, it's not going to be streetable. I guess you could say you'll be able to drive on the street.

81boowagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2009
Im thinking the LQ4 6.0L with a gt42/76mm, tko 600 and a bolt in 9in.
I got a buddy in va with a lq4 bone stock with a borg warner s480 at 14psi making 650rwhp in a fox coupe mustang that went 5.60s in the 1/8. But thats also at 2700lbs. lol

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
81boowagon said:
Im thinking the LQ4 6.0L with a gt42/76mm, tko 600 and a bolt in 9in.
I got a buddy in va with a lq4 bone stock with a borg warner s480 at 14psi making 650rwhp in a fox coupe mustang that went 5.60s in the 1/8. But thats also at 2700lbs. lol

I haven't heard good things about manuals and boost. Most guys prefer automatics when running a s/c or turbo. G bodies can also be built to under 3,000 pounds with a little work.

This is to the original poster... what are you planning to do with the car? Why does it have to be streetable, meaning is it for a weekend racer or do you just want to drive it to a track? Give us some info. IMO, a 400-500 hp engine will save you major cash and if it's just being driven as a street weekend racer, add some real low gears 4.10-4.56 and a 3 spd or powerglide and you're done. You saved a ton of cash and probably have the same performance as a 600 hp boosted overdrive with 3.50's or higher.... It's not like we're worried about gas mileage with this kind of build anyway :D

81boowagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2009
HAHA no gas mileage is no biggie. Its gonna be more on the edge of a strip car that i can get in whenever i want to and drive it. And yeah i know boost and a stick dont do to good and are really hard on parts, so more than likely i will just build the th400 that i have in the shed and save myself alot of money and headaches!
Btw thanks for the input! keep it coming.
One more thing, what does the avarage malibu wagon with a small block weigh?

3rdgentug

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
i was told my 83 wagon weighed in at 4000 pds
so @ there

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor