CHEVY 383 stroker build

MonteCarloAustin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2020
Hi all. My sbc 350 recently took a dump in my Monte Carlo. I’d really like to build a 383 stroker for it, but I’m getting a lot of mixed information in my research. If anybody has a detailed build sheet or parts list for a 383 stroker, please share! If you have dyno numbers even better! Looking for something street-able, but packs a punch for the weekend trips to the track. 450-500hp at the crank? Cost kept in mind, but not a limiting factor. Thanks!

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I bought Blueprint Engines 383. It's All complete, 453HP at the crank, 473TQ, streetable, and a warranty. Very happy so far.

Reactions: 6 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I had great luck with blueprint as well. I did their 383 fully forged short block and then topped it with afr heads to allow room for more power down the road. After short block, heads and gaskets I’m into the motor for $7000ish. Next motor I need I will probably go with blueprint again

Reactions: 2 users

MonteCarloAustin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2020
I had great luck with blueprint as well. I did their 383 fully forged short block and then topped it with afr heads to allow room for more power down the road. After short block, heads and gaskets I’m into the motor for $7000ish. Next motor I need I will probably go with blueprint again
I have a good block, and will probably go with the forged bottom end as well (don’t know what I’ll get into in the future and want to build it as stout as possible). Any chance you know the specs on heads, cam and piston dome/dish/flat? Every reference I can find is either a full blown race engine or a 300hp cruiser.

MonteCarloAustin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2020
I bought Blueprint Engines 383. It's All complete, 453HP at the crank, 473TQ, streetable, and a warranty. Very happy so far.
I looked into blueprint engines as well, but I have a good block, and some other odds and ends, so I think I could save some money and gain some knowledge building it myself. Thanks for the info! I’ll keep it in mind if I run into a dead end.

Reactions: 1 user

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I have a good block, and will probably go with the forged bottom end as well (don’t know what I’ll get into in the future and want to build it as stout as possible). Any chance you know the specs on heads, cam and piston dome/dish/flat? Every reference I can find is either a full blown race engine or a 300hp cruiser.
Couple questions to help us provide you some guidance:

First and foremost do you still need to pass emissions?

What is the current setup in the car:
Trans?
Torque converter stall?
Rear end?

On your current motor:
Carb?
Ignition setup?

Lastly what is your ideal budget for this?

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hard to beat buying a crate.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MonteCarloAustin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2020
Couple questions to help us provide you some guidance:

First and foremost do you still need to pass emissions?

What is the current setup in the car:
Trans?
Torque converter stall?
Rear end?

On your current motor:
Carb?
Ignition setup?

Lastly what is your ideal budget for this?
I do NOT need to be emissions compliant. Th350 trans with a… 2800 stall… I think. Rear end is a 7.5 inch locker with 3.23 gears. The 350 had a Holley 650cfm with a HEI distributor. I plan on getting a bigger carb or even efi for new motor. I’d like to stay around the $6k-$7k mark, but I’ll spend the extra money if it means saving myself a headache in the future.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor