4,000 RPM shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fear

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2007
Indianapolis
I have a 87 Cutlass with a 71 olds 350 Used to be a 2 barrel now has (Edelbrock performer intake, 70's quadrajet). I have the stock 200-4R. So my question is when I have it hammered it shifts at 3900-4000 rpm's Would a transgo shift kit cary it out longer or is it something else. The kickdown cable is hooked up and the car shifts fine. Thanks

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
You could get it to shift higher by extending the pull on the detent (kickdown) cable. I did that to carry the shifts a little bit higher. If you like the way it shifts now I wouldn't put a shift kit on it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
A shift kit won't change the actual shift points, just the firmness. The shift points can be changed by messing with the TV cable or by changing the governor springs. The TV cable method can work, but it may cause problems in reliability if the line pressure is too low. In my car, I just shift it manually and since I have a shift kit and the TV cable properly adjusted, the shifts are immediate and firm-it even barks the 1-2 upshift in automatic mode. Raising the shift points with the TV cable can make it ride the lower gears too long at part throttle. It may even slip the clutches and bands due to low apply pressure and kill the transmission in a short time.I admit that transmissions are not my forte, so someone else may have a better solution or be able to shed more light on the subject.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wouldn't play with the TV adjustment since it could ruin your transmission...if you want higher shift point just change your tanny's governor with a GN governor..

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
I agree, use the GN spec parts. Do not mess with the TV cable on a 200-4r. It is not the same as the older TH350. 200-4rs rely on correct adjustment of that cable to work properly, if not, trans damage WILL occur. Old TH350s could be unhooked with no damage.

Fear

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2007
Indianapolis
When I adjust the TV cable it just delays the shift, not the shift point. I seen the larger servo, and other parts they sell. Thanks for the help guys.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Just noticed where u r from. What side of town? Northwest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor