Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Deals are out there for nearly anything Olds but a 455. They are $500 minimum, usually knocking or 8 to 1 J head motors. Another reason why I don't buy them or plan on building one. I picked up a great running 76 350 for $120, he wanted $150. It had 140 to 142 psi after installing the compression robbing Performer cam and 20+ psi hot idle in gear, 25+ psi in park and 50 cruising with 5W30 oil. It still had shim head gaskets and the nylon looked perfect on the timing set. He had a knocking 455 that he would sell but it was much more valuable. I said no thanks and took the great running 350. The Olds Diesel has a tiny market, so yeah almost no demand.
Olds diesel market is still pretty hot in Europe & Scanandivia i got engs on backorder for some guys i do business with.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Olds diesel market is still pretty hot in Europe & Scanandivia i got engs on backorder for some guys i do business with.
Glad to hear, they killed the passenger car diesel market for 30+ years in North America. If only they built the 4.3 V6 first, you know the right way, water fuel separators, extra head bolts and gee golly, long enough main bolts! Imagine those hooked up to the T50 in the new downsized 78 Cutlass, reliably getting 40 mpg. Then Turboed by the early mid 80's, performance and mileage way before the VW TDI. Typical GM, finally get something right, then cancel it shortly afterwards.

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I've seen the 4.3 v6 mentioned a couple of times through out this thread, are all 4.3's diesel, or are there both gas versions and diesel versions? I just picked up a parts car elky that is supposed to be a 4.3 so I was just wondering.

OldsZZ383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2019
Arizona
My 81 Cutlass Supreme had a 5.7 l Diesel... it was the third engine replaced under warranty! When the third engine died... fuel pump failure, and the cost to fix it was quoted at around $2500 by a GM dealership I knew it was time for a ZZ383 I had been eying in Chevy High Performance. The diesel engine was the main cause for Oldsmobile's demise! Currently the mechanic who services my car and works from his home in Phoenix used to work at one of the Oldsmobile dealerships in Indianapolis for over twenty years and was THE champion at replacing these engines at record time. He informed me that this engine was the reason why Oldsmobile boarded up. They lost their shirt replacing two, three, and even four times the engine for the same car, all under warranty! But, it's the best boat anchor you can buy... someone may give to you for free or even pay you to haul it away!

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I've seen the 4.3 v6 mentioned a couple of times through out this thread, are all 4.3's diesel, or are there both gas versions and diesel versions? I just picked up a parts car elky that is supposed to be a 4.3 so I was just wondering.
There is the v8 4.3l diesel that came out in '79. And ended in '79.
Then some time in like '83 gm came out with a v6 version listed as 4.3l. On top of that, there was a rwd and a fwd version. I don't know enough about the v6 version. Others will fill the rest.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 4.3 V8 diesel had all the same issues as other V8 Olds diesels. Almost no one has seen one, almost all were replaced with the 350 DX. They were available with the T50 5 speed manual. I believe they were 90 hp and 160 ft/lbs. The Olds 4.3 V6 was diesel only. It has one extra head bolt per cylinder and they are metric thread. It also had serpentine belt drives on both versions but were different. The FWD was lighter with aluminum heads. They also had a water/fuel seperator. It was rated at 85 hp 165 ft/lbs of torque.

Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

Olds had a diesel 4.3L V6. Chevy had a gas 4.3L V6 with TBI, sorta 3/4 of a SBC 350 block, no relation to any Olds motor. Your Elky no doubt has the Chevy.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Olds had a diesel 4.3L V6. Chevy had a gas 4.3L V6 with TBI, sorta 3/4 of a SBC 350 block, no relation to any Olds motor. Your Elky no doubt has the Chevy.
And chevy did put the diesel v6 4.3l in the g body cars.

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
I had an 1983 (2 door) Cutlass Supreme RWD with 4.3L V6 Diesel engine which was actually a great car, served me well for a daily driver for the 3yrs I had it. Lent it to a family member one time who filled the gas tank with gasoline, and that was the end of that. I swapped in a 350 Olds gas engine, and my sister drove it for many more years after that.

• Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor