4.3 Vortec swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miller92

n00b
Nov 6, 2011
With gas prices going up and up im afraid to finish my regal because in the end it may sit more than it sees the road with the 355 under the hood. Ive been getting ideas of swapping in something that may be more fuel efficient and came up with the idea of a 4.3 vortec with a manual transmission behind it. I had the engine in a 96 blazer and never really had any issues with it other than the transmission thats why i was thinking a manual behind it. My question is, is it really worth it to drop one in a gbody? I know they use alot of similar parts as a 350 so i can always build the internals and possibly turbo it. The biggest thing im curious about is swapping a modern engine into an older car, never done it before. Is it easy? Or not really worth it? Im not really worried about the whole horsepower thing anymore die to gas prices but just something I can cruise in and take to the locale car shows and it would be different if its worth doing. So any help would be nice before I blow cash on doing this and messing things up lol, how would I go about swapping in a modern engine?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If I were to swap a newer model V6 engine, I would stay away from the VORTEC. The fuel "spiders" under the intakes are a pretty common failure part, and it runs about $400+ for the replacement. I would go with either a 3.8L Camaro RS engine or a newer Camaro/G8 3.6L (they are like 255hp and get 28mpg) :mrgreen:

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
RITTER said:
If I were to swap a newer model V6 engine, I would stay away from the VORTEC. The fuel "spiders" under the intakes are a pretty common failure part, and it runs about $400+ for the replacement. I would go with either a 3.8L Camaro RS engine or a newer Camaro/G8 3.6L (they are like 255hp and get 28mpg) :mrgreen:

you'd be insane to want any gm v6 after the 3800 series was discontinued, they are all trash (except for the pickup truck engines)

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I posted a question on MalibuRacing.com on this subject. There is a member on that forum who has swapped the Vortec 4.3 into an El Camino. He gave me a link to some photos of the swap, and it looks pretty neat. He's done some modifications to the engine, and figures that he's well over 200HP. Howell Engine Developments has an engine swap wiring harness for the 4.3 Vortec. I have a 1981 Iraqi Malibu, which has the 229 Chev V6, and a 3 speed manual Saginaw transmission. Going with a similiar idea, I thought what if I was to swap the 229 for a 4.3 Vortec, and the 3 speed for a 5 speed? The way I see it, you could have a car with fairly snappy performance, and decent fuel economy. If you're interested in checking out the thread on MalibuRacing.com, go into the forums, and look in the V6 tech section. Let us know what you think.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
the true vortec 4.3s (96 and up) produce 190hp at 5k and 250ft lbs at 2800 i think. they are amazing motors, deadbeat reliable and good power. not the best fuel econ tho, blazers get about 15 city

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
miller92 said:
With gas prices going up and up im afraid to finish my regal because in the end it may sit more than it sees the road with the 355 under the hood. Ive been getting ideas of swapping in something that may be more fuel efficient and came up with the idea of a 4.3 vortec with a manual transmission behind it. I had the engine in a 96 blazer and never really had any issues with it other than the transmission thats why i was thinking a manual behind it. My question is, is it really worth it to drop one in a gbody? I know they use alot of similar parts as a 350 so i can always build the internals and possibly turbo it. The biggest thing im curious about is swapping a modern engine into an older car, never done it before. Is it easy? Or not really worth it? Im not really worried about the whole horsepower thing anymore die to gas prices but just something I can cruise in and take to the locale car shows and it would be different if its worth doing. So any help would be nice before I blow cash on doing this and messing things up lol, how would I go about swapping in a modern engine?

Aboslutely not, terrible idea. For one, if you don't have money for gas a G-body car is not for you. If your G body is a "pleasure" vehicle, sell it. If its a daily driver, get someting else. Second if you have it up and running with a 355 why would you go to a 4.3? Thats the lamest move of all time. The 4.3 was literally a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off. Gm created it as a gas saving option for consumers and a cost savings parts for themselves since the same pistons, rings, and other internals would be used. On paper it sounded like a great idea, but it never really translated to a great engine. They ALL burned oil and had blow by after not many miles. They were and unbalanced engine that never ran that smooth, never sounded that good with exhaust, never produced a ton of tourqe or horsepower (except turbo models in the Syclone/typhoon models) and has mileage was also never great. Even with the later Votrec model that featured balance shafts, vortec heads and MPFI the engine still could be problematic with all the oil burning. Fouling plugs, sensors and just generally having to watch oil comsumption.

As far as ease it wouldn't be miserable. If you wanted the fuel injection yon you would need the Blazer harness and that would be very time consuming. Otherwise theres prolly an intake out there where your could throw a carb on. Again, fuel economy wont be great. I would only think this would be a cool project if the car come with the old school 4.3 and you swapped to that more modern vortec one. I have my old 85 4.3 if you would be interested. 54k origional miles and burned the least amount of oil of any 4.3 I ever dealt with. I know because I've owned a few of these and had many in the family over the years.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
oldmansmonte said:
miller92 said:

Aboslutely not, terrible idea. For one, if you don't have money for gas a G-body car is not for you. If your G body is a "pleasure" vehicle, sell it. If its a daily driver, get someting else. Second if you have it up and running with a 355 why would you go to a 4.3? Thats the lamest move of all time. The 4.3 was literally a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off. Gm created it as a gas saving option for consumers and a cost savings parts for themselves since the same pistons, rings, and other internals would be used. On paper it sounded like a great idea, but it never really translated to a great engine. They ALL burned oil and had blow by after not many miles. They were and unbalanced engine that never ran that smooth, never sounded that good with exhaust, never produced a ton of tourqe or horsepower (except turbo models in the Syclone/typhoon models) and has mileage was also never great. Even with the later Votrec model that featured balance shafts, vortec heads and MPFI the engine still could be problematic with all the oil burning. Fouling plugs, sensors and just generally having to watch oil comsumption.

As far as ease it wouldn't be miserable. If you wanted the fuel injection yon you would need the Blazer harness and that would be very time consuming. Otherwise theres prolly an intake out there where your could throw a carb on. Again, fuel economy wont be great. I would only think this would be a cool project if the car come with the old school 4.3 and you swapped to that more modern vortec one. I have my old 85 4.3 if you would be interested. 54k origional miles and burned the least amount of oil of any 4.3 I ever dealt with. I know because I've owned a few of these and had many in the family over the years.

:wtf:

I dont know what your talking about but ive NEVER seen or heard of any 4.3 burning oil and being a pos, vortec or not. Ive also had plenty of friends and family who've had them, and I can sure as hell say they are strong motors, and have plenty of power for a 6. Believe me, I know that first hand from driving a blazer, and considering they weigh upwards of 4500lbs they can still get up and go, and can do peelouts all day no problems. I honestly think this would be a great idea for a swap and id like to see it done. Good luck with the swap man, keep us posted.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
dream on mcss said:
oldmansmonte said:
miller92 said:

I dont know what your talking about but ive NEVER seen or heard of any 4.3 burning oil and being a pos, vortec or not. Ive also had plenty of friends and family who've had them, and I can sure as hell say they are strong motors, and have plenty of power for a 6. Believe me, I know that first hand from driving a blazer, and considering they weigh upwards of 4500lbs they can still get up and go, and can do peelouts all day no problems. I honestly think this would be a great idea for a swap and id like to see it done. Good luck with the swap man, keep us posted.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I don't car of the Blazer adaptation does burnouts or not. If probably used more oil doing the burnout that it did gas.

But hey bud, you want a 4.3 in your car? Have at it .

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
dream on mcss said:
oldmansmonte said:
miller92 said:

Settle down you guys. No need to knock each other's opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor