$4 gas & your g-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Back to $4 gas and our g-bodys. Great platform for an affordable performance car but after we build them up to go fast can we still afford to drive them? If not as a daily driver at least as a regular driver. I don't know about you but I don't plan to show anybody pictures of mine from my wallet. I plan to rumble up in it. I am not talking about a drag car or a concors type restoration show car neither of which will likely see a comma in their miles per year driven column. And no haveing some anemic setup trying squeese out more mileage won't cut it either. I'm talking a car that will leap off the line at a stoplight pass with authority or deny a pass if you choose to. While I have an older fwd 4 cylinder economy commuter that lowers my commuting and insurance costs I still plan to put say 6,000+ miles a year on my hotrods. Be it going to the track, the cruise in, car shows, to take my girl out to eat, whatever. I know affordable has a different definition to different people but lets define it for this as being able to put at least 6,000 miles a year for anything other than cheap hard core transportation.

Whats your idea plan build setup combination vision whatever. I used an overdrive transmissions in both cars, a lock up converter in both cars, fuel injection on one a Q-jet in the other, a reasonable cam in both cars, reasonable gears in both cars. I installed a methanol/water injection setup that kicks in at about 10 pounds of boost in my GN which enables me to drive around set on kill without race fuel or Xylene in the tank saveing me lots on fuel costs. Paid for itself in one summer. I know some work toward retaining the CCC which definately helps as well as useing a distributor with adjustable vacume advance instead of locked or mechanical. More better computer controlled fuel injection is slowly becomeing more available affordable and cost effective. The third gen LS1 and newer engines are powerful more fuel efficient and becomeing a more viable option as more hit the road and hot rodder/businessmen make available more solutions to make this easier & cheaper. So I don't know give me your take on how you plan to do this parts or affordability wise or how you hope to do it in the future as a little more money / technology becomes available to you.

What should be a minimum highway mileage goal for this vehicle?

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
Well my G body is getting the buick V6 out of my other G. That thing make all kinds of power and should still get amazing millage thanks to that little turbo.
I'll be saving money driving that instead of my truck.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
lets see here.

I MIGHT be getting 10mpg in my Built 350 2 speedpowerglide 84cutlass with 3.73 tho Probably less.
So 6000 miles will cost me 2400$
which would have cost me $571.43 on average in my old 1990 crx.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
haha hopefully getting a motorcycle soon. but the taurus does pretty good as a daily driver as well

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Drive it? I can barely afford to idle it in my driveway! My 4 banger DD Pickup is even starting to kill me on gas. This sux! The gas prices are driving down business where I work, and the tips have gotten smaller too because no one can afford anything anymore.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Just Karter, Great example. I would say that if you still had the crx and could find parts to keep it on the road just for commuting and an insurance break I would do so. Now to the fun stuff. In past posts you have at least hinted that project car money is tight. I don't know how much cam you have but I can see 9 mpg as being realistic for that setup.
I know parts change overs generally cost and even if starting from scratch that you can't always find the parts you want for the same price etc but bear with me here. Food for thought generally speaking a Q-jet is worth at least 1 mpg over a square bore carb and a lock up converter is worth another. I don't know what carb you run and I don't know if a lockup converter exists for a PG but useing a 3 speed as an example a lockup is is normally good for a solid 1mpg. If that put you at 12mpg and an overdrive like a 200-4r could get your 1/3 more mileage that would take you from 12 to 16mpg with the same 3.73 gear. If tomorrow you were getting 16 instead of 10 mpg with the same or better performance would you drive your gbody more this summer?

My Cutlass setup is definately not tweaked for mileage but I got 17hwy with a 509ci and 3.42s. Its run 110mph in the quarter same exhaust tires fuel etc as how I drive it so I would assume that even without factoring more pumping loses from a larger engine that at wot it consumes more fuel than yours does. Not that my Cutty is a poster child for economy performance or power for the buck just that the parts we select to put our hotrods together can make a big difference in the useability of our cars while still meeting our performance goals. Last night I was on a site where a guy put an new gen LS7 427ci in a Monte SS. So far he has run a 11.5 et and probably gets over 20mpg. On the other hand I am sure he has lots o mula in that one.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
All I have to say is, way to go G-DUB-YA!! Your daddy couldn't do it & neither can you. :doh:

I work in the construction trade & the amount of work & money to do it has done nothing but decline for the last 5 years. Off-road diesel is an average of $3.60/gallon Heavy equipment machines burn 100 gallons PER DAY OR MORE!!! That's at least $360 per day per machine. If there are even only 10 machines on a job, that's now $3,600 per day on fuel alone!! Take that times 5 days a week, that's $18,000 PER WEEK for fuel alone. But the cost of fuel isn't out of control, right?? :roll:

But, just remember...... as our roads & bridges are falling apart, the economy is THRIVING!!! Just ask your politicians.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My combination was always intended to maximize city fuel economy, so I really could not change much to make it better. The car's original purpose was as a pizza delivery car, so mileage was always a concern. I have improved it recently with the addition of the xe262 cam, new rockers and the Quadrajet, as well as the 3.23 gears. I still lack lockup in the converter, but that may be taken care of soon by a swap to a T-5 to replace my ailing TH200 4R. That is, if I can ever get the stupid thing back on the road and out of autobody hell. The way things are going right now, I will be lucky to just pay the mortgage and car insurance, let alone worry about a toy.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
Vern -

2 speeds are a bear on the 1/4 mile expecially sense I had it built for it and with the 3000 stall I'm running.
as far as gas mileage, Nope not worried at all I'm going to drive it every chance I get, We only live once, if gas is going to be a rip off let it.

Its really going to hurt when I'm driving my 496 with a blower on it (future plan)

9mpg is okay by me in the current build, Its an edelbrock 600 cfm square bore.
I HATE quadrajunks.
I wish I knew people actually like those carbs, I've thrown atleast 7 out.
We pulled them off so many different engines and democars and just tossed them.

I talked to my machinist (he gets me a discount if i order parts thru him even if im building it myself)
I've got either 11:1 or 11.5:1 pistons coming, and the biggest cam that will work for my set up.
I'll have all the specs when my parts come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor