4 speed malibu,s

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Has anyone ever seen any numbers on how many 4 speed malibu landau,s were produced ? And how many came with hurst shifters. I have seen some people saying that some olds came with hurst shifters , anyone ever seen a build sheet with one ?

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Don't believe GM ever broke it out by other options, but these are the numbers that have been around for a while

Production figures for 4 speed Malibus built in the US were:
1978=1654
1979=1903
1980=202

Canadian produced models:
1978=94
1979=142
1980=124

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
I guess this is one of the 124 Canadian cars.
Although it has a TH400 in it now, it does still have the clutch pedal in the car. Makes people ask all the time if it’s a manual trans in the car.
DB276B08-B624-4A67-B2BB-9C7E7D590B82.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Don't believe GM ever broke it out by other options, but these are the numbers that have been around for a while
Yeah that,s great info ! I was just wondering if any one has ever seen more of a break down on model numbers

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
GM simply did not break it down that far. Both Malibu Classic and Malibu Classic Landaus are 1AW27 cars, so even if they had kept records by series (1AT27 for base Malibu, 1AW27 for classic/Landau), there wouldn't be a split for just Landaus

• Agree

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The Hurst shifter was NOT an option on any of the 78-80 Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino or Monte Carlo 4 speeds. The Chevrolet models came with an ITM manufactured shifter that had a chrome plated round stick profile. The 4 speed Oldsmobiles that I have seen all had the ITM The only A bodies of that time period that came with a Hurst was the 79 Grand Prix and Grand Am models. It was a chrome plated round stick profile with a push in (non bolt on stick). It did not have positive stops like the after markets and it had rubber bushings in the shift arms at the bottom. It was similar in many aspects to the ITM except you did not have to pull up on the stick for reverse like you had to with the ITM.
The Pontiac Hurst used the same linkage, bracket, etc.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor