4 wheeling anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Picked this WJ up last week for $400. View attachment 142683

4" long arm lift is enroute. I have some take off 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STT pros that are going on there. Picked up a double cardan/ujoint front driveshaft yesterday. Thinking about a trussed d44a for the rear and possibly a lunchbox locker in the front or maybe just use the vari-loc stuff that came in quadra drive Grand Cherokees.

The horizon is correct in this pic. The road is a little steep.

View attachment 142684

I have the quadrive with selec trak in my Jeep, works great in the winter when I need the 4x4, rest of the time it's in 2wd

Reactions: 1 user

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
We've had 4 Grand Cherokees as family rigs, current one is an '04 that's ready for replacement.
But, this one's all mine - '56 Willys CJ-5, original frame and running gear except it's on it's 4th motor.
56 Willys.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I hate mud. Thankfully, here in Utah it is all about the rocks. My '98 TJ runs 35s, dual air lockers, a triangulated rear, and I just upgraded to a one-ton steering system and WJ brakes right before EJS got cancelled. :( I'm a member of the Red Rock 4-Wheelers and work as a trail official every Jeep Safari.

Anyway, some of the rocks get fairly large.
TB8iSL8.jpg

Sometimes you lean way over, counting on your rock sliders to protect the body.
H9pblXz.jpg

But if the rocks are too big, the sliders can't protect you completely.
z6HQ4c8.jpg

But, hey--chicks dig body damage, right?

Reactions: 2 users

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
I hate mud. Thankfully, here in Utah it is all about the rocks. My '98 TJ runs 35s, dual air lockers, a triangulated rear, and I just upgraded to a one-ton steering system and WJ brakes right before EJS got cancelled. :( I'm a member of the Red Rock 4-Wheelers and work as a trail official every Jeep Safari.

Anyway, some of the rocks get fairly large.
TB8iSL8.jpg

Sometimes you lean way over, counting on your rock sliders to protect the body.
H9pblXz.jpg

But if the rocks are too big, the sliders can't protect you completely.
z6HQ4c8.jpg

But, hey--chicks dig body damage, right?
Looks like a good time, i rolled the tracker Saturday night came in too off the train tracks to another trail hiit a ditch and on its side it went me and my buddy were cracking up crawled out flipped over kept wheeling lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Been there, done that

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Those Dana 44s cost an arm and leg around here ,nice scenery islove to go wheel out west no mud lol
The V8 grand Cherokees have them stock. Also known as a Dana 44a, Dana 44HD. They have an aluminum housing instead of iron. Some dudes like to hate on them but the pinion input shaft diameter and ring gear thickness are nearly Dana 60 spec. Also this center section is used in a couple pretty aggressive cars, the Corvette and the Viper so it can take some abuse. Complete axle assemblies can be had from the local junkyard for $169.00. not bad for a huge step up in strength over the Dana turdy five that is in my rig but they also have 3.73 gears vs the 3.55s in mine now. I'll grab one with veri-loc just for giggles.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Redneck ingenuity at it's best.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor