424 mile Monte SS for sale on BaT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I wouldn’t kick it out of my garage. I admire any preserved like this, since it’s a museum piece, nice to see what they looked like when new, not restored better than new or with re-popped not 100% correct parts. I’d personally driven it a bit more too but 🤷‍♂️

The pics of the owner and others in (I assume) 1984 is cool too. Looks like a customer ordered car with 1AZ, wonder if it was his plan to tuck it away or after getting it decided to keep it as a decoration instead of drive it.

Being a Michigan car and the undercoating, the fact it was ordered I’d guess the intent was to drive it. The undercoating is a detriment to a car like this but does help a bit for those exposed to salt.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Sure 420? That driver's seat has more butt time with the wrinkles for 420 miles. Note the undercoating where MCs like to rust: under the doors, the lip of the trunk lip. Undercoating hides all the rust!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
As we both know, service replacements have little to do with assembly-line parts, but since evidence seems to indicate that it could be legit, I'll just assume it is.

Just saying in my experience, I'd never seen a ribbed pan on a 350, but every 250 I have seen had one. Doesn't really matter.
Believe me, I know what you mean. TBH, I never knew the ribbed pan to even be a "thing".

Unless someone took pics while it was on the rack getting the pre-delivery inspection done, you really cannot be 100% sure what the car came with from the factory 38 years later, regardless the mileage. I'm not an expert on the Monte SS, but there's enough evidence for me to give this one a pass on the pan. Now, why it is ribbed likely doesn't really matter. I was only trying to shed light on any tangible evidence to support why the pan looks like it does.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Is it just me or do those low mile, old cars scare everyone else? All I imagine is the seals/weatherstripping/rubber products needing replaced to make it a drivable car?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nahhhhhh, no big deal Wraith

My 85 442 had less miles on it when I bought it. What's the issue? :)

If it's been maintained and well-taken care of, which it seems to have been, there may be some concerns in some areas, but mostly the car will probably perform just fine. If I were to take it and drive it around, I'd replace the tires and hoses, etc. But it'd probably do ok. Of course, the money it would take to purchase the car probably means it's going to stay a time capsule for someone. To which, I couldn't stand not driving it at least a little.

This may be why the driver seat looks like it's got more miles on it than the car does. Because, for example, people always sitting in it checking it out, or driving it up on jack stands to change fluids, etc., or other light maintenance/cleaning. Getting in and out of the car 100 times, but the car never moves. It can happen.

I know it will go for more stupid money than what many people would want to give and probably more than what it's actually worth, but if it were a 442 or H/O, I'd probably toss my hat in the ring.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Nahhhhhh, no big deal Wraith

My 85 442 had less miles on it when I bought it. What's the issue? :)

If it's been maintained and well-taken care of, which it seems to have been, there may be some concerns in some areas, but mostly the car will probably perform just fine. If I were to take it and drive it around, I'd replace the tires and hoses, etc. But it'd probably do ok. Of course, the money it would take to purchase the car probably means it's going to stay a time capsule for someone. To which, I couldn't stand not driving it at least a little.

This may be why the driver seat looks like it's got more miles on it than the car does. Because, for example, people always sitting in it checking it out, or driving it up on jack stands to change fluids, etc., or other light maintenance/cleaning. Getting in and out of the car 100 times, but the car never moves. It can happen.

I know it will go for more stupid money than what many people would want to give and probably more than what it's actually worth, but if it were a 442 or H/O, I'd probably toss my hat in the ring.
I'm just glad it's not another white 1983 like came up about a year or two ago. Thay car I missed liquidity-wise by about 2 weeks and still regret. Would've bought it at what it went for.

This one I think will sell better because of the buckets, but I'd kind of rather have the bench these days, and the older tu-tone looked sharp when clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor