427 SBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Looks good, are you going to install the four corner coolant bypass hoses? Watch that composite intake for coolant leaks into the intake valley, running the bypass hoses keeps the coolant from deadheading in the back of the intake

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Fox80 said:
Looks good, are you going to install the four corner coolant bypass hoses? Watch that composite intake for coolant leaks into the intake valley, running the bypass hoses keeps the coolant from deadheading in the back of the intake

I couldn't agree more on running rear cooling, I set up all my SBC and BBC like that and before it became common I used to modify my aluminum intakes for it then reblast them so it looked untampered.

87 supreme

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2013
Western PA
No I wasn't going to run a 4 corner coolant bypass, but now I'm looking into it. That afr txr intake fits those 220 like a glove, and it has long separate runners, otta make for some good torque numbers.

87 supreme

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2013
Western PA
few more pics of the build.

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 490
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 496
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 499

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
I would plumb up the rear corners, it's simple and cheap to do, and composite intakes warp or crack in the rear corners from the steam/hot spot created without it, I would also put a stud girdle on it, aluminum heads with the spring pressure it looks like them springs have is hard on the stud threads, again pretty cheap insurance

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Nice build that engine should be bad *ss! What did you do with the other intake manifold? If you still have it I'm interested. IF it's gone would you still have the make and part number? Good luck with your build!

87 supreme

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2013
Western PA
The four corner coolant will be installed have the parts ordered, stud girdle did cross my mind. Thanks for all the good advice but damn it's getting expensive. :D

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
In my opinion you have reached the "protect the investment" mode now, with the amount of money it appears you have in that motor it's time to make sure some little thing won't destroy it all. Now you can't prevent everything, but things like lifter valley screens, stud girdles, "rev kits" on roller cams can help prevent a failure or at least keep a failure contained to that area. IMO if you have a roller cam with a agressive ramp up or more than 115 lbs closed valve seat pressure a stud girdle is a must have, ARP rocker studs are tough but they will still break right at the radius above the hex.

87 supreme

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2013
Western PA
Fox80 I like what your saying and your right, at this point in the build whats a couple extra bucks for some peace of mind. I'm 31 yrs old and this is by far the baddest engine i've ever built. I don't know all the tricks of the trade and thankfully for me theirs folks like you on this board who are willing to help a guy out. I'll be ordering a stud girdle soon. I did take my time with setting up my valvetrain adj guide plates, proper rocker arm geometry, push rod length and a good set of 7/16 stud comp ultra pro magnum 1.6 rocker arms and arp polylocks. However the girdle will only make things better. Thanks again

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
A word from experience do not get the "u-bolt" style girdle, get a two piece aluminum style from Comp,Crane,etc. It sounds like you have done your homework and used quality components, I am only a couple years older than you and I know the feeling you get as you near the end of a build, but you need to make sure you check and double check every little thing before you fire it. I have seen more than one motor break on the dyno from a simple thing over looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor