454 BBC in 1987 Monte - What Stat, and temp settings for fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Good evening,
I have an all iron 454 in my 87 Monte. I plan on putting aluminum heads and what not but for now its going to be a pretty warm motor. I currently have a brand new 180 thermostat in the car with a new high volume water pump and a new 3 core aluminum radiator with a dual fan set up pulling 3,200 CFM. It will hold the car around 180 but I think I have it set the wrong way. SO! My two questions.
160 or 180 thermostat?
AND!
If you were to use one or the other, what temperature settings would you set the On/Off for the fans. I currently have it set to kick on at 185 and off at 175. I feel like the fans will always be running because the sensor is in the intake by the water outlet, and the stat shouldn't even really open until 180. Any input and explanation would be great! Thank you,

Ryan

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I cant help you with the fan settings,but I would not recommend using the 160 stat as the engine will run too cool.
I have always used a 180 stat in my bbc and it works fine.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Try fans on at 195 off at 180. I would think that the fan 'off' should be around the t-stat rating, so they're not running while the car is at highway speed. Unless, of course, the car won't cool at highway speed..... Although, I have one of these, and it lists the temps you describe:
30110.jpg

Honestly, it depends on how well the car cools. As long as it doesn't stay around 200, you should be good. I agree that 160 stats are pointless; they just stay open.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Try fans on at 195 off at 180. I would think that the fan 'off' should be around the t-stat rating, so they're not running while the car is at highway speed. Unless, of course, the car won't cool at highway speed..... Although, I have one of these, and it lists the temps you describe:
30110.jpg

Honestly, it depends on how well the car cools. As long as it doesn't stay around 200, you should be good. I agree that 160 stats are pointless; they just stay open.
part #? Or name of part?

Reactions: 1 user

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
I cant help you with the fan settings,but I would not recommend using the 160 stat as the engine will run too cool.
I have always used a 180 stat in my bbc and it works fine.
Guy
Thank you very much for the input! I'll keep the 180 stat in it!

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Thank you very much, I'll make the change to the controlling unit later to turn on arounf 195. I think it gives me a 10 degree variable but that should work out great. Thank you again. I'm currently using the sensor that came with the controlling unit, but if it fails, or maybe before then I might carry another in the car and wire in a hard switch.

30110.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor