455/400 trans swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WASTEDTALENT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2010
alright so this wednesday i will be dropping in the 455 out of a 442 into my buddies cutlass, its got a 400 trans for it i already have the 307 motor mounts picked them up earlier. i need to know if the 400 trans will bolt up to the 200r4 transmission cross member. any help is appreciated, ill post up picks for you guys once i get started.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
i found this for you real quick

TH400 or 2004R
At first, I thought this was an easy swap. I read an article that said you can get the crossmember from any g-body equipped with a 2004R and it will bolt right up to the TH400. Well, that is partially true. IF you have a 84 OR LATER G-body, it will work. But, the 78-83 G-bodies never came with the 2004R. The frame rail crossmember mounts are different from the latter year models. The latter year G-bodies frame mount locations that extend further back (toward the rear of the car). Since the 78-83 models do not have these, you will not be able to use the factory crossmember (unless you make the frame extension piece). Other options are to either get a crossmember from G-Force Performance, get a "universal" crossmember, modify/fabricate your own, or make a frame extension piece and use the stock TH350 crossmember. I modified mine by removing the mount pad from the front side of the crossmember, then using 1/4" thick steel plate, welding it to the back side of the crossmember. I then drilled an elongated hole for the transmission mount bolt to go through. Not too difficult to do yourself if you have access to a welder. Otherwise, you will need to get someone to do this. The TH350 driveshaft will either need to be shortened, or you can use a stock one from a later model G-body that had a 2004R transmission. Remember, you will have to use the yoke from the TH400 on the new driveshaft.

WASTEDTALENT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2010
youngdeezy said:
i found this for you real quick

TH400 or 2004R
At first, I thought this was an easy swap. I read an article that said you can get the crossmember from any g-body equipped with a 2004R and it will bolt right up to the TH400. Well, that is partially true. IF you have a 84 OR LATER G-body, it will work. But, the 78-83 G-bodies never came with the 2004R. The frame rail crossmember mounts are different from the latter year models. The latter year G-bodies frame mount locations that extend further back (toward the rear of the car). Since the 78-83 models do not have these, you will not be able to use the factory crossmember (unless you make the frame extension piece). Other options are to either get a crossmember from G-Force Performance, get a "universal" crossmember, modify/fabricate your own, or make a frame extension piece and use the stock TH350 crossmember. I modified mine by removing the mount pad from the front side of the crossmember, then using 1/4" thick steel plate, welding it to the back side of the crossmember. I then drilled an elongated hole for the transmission mount bolt to go through. Not too difficult to do yourself if you have access to a welder. Otherwise, you will need to get someone to do this. The TH350 driveshaft will either need to be shortened, or you can use a stock one from a later model G-body that had a 2004R transmission. Remember, you will have to use the yoke from the TH400 on the new driveshaft.

thanks for the info, i didn't even think about cross member mounts on the chasis :blam:, either way i can make this work im pretty good at fabricating i could make my own but i was hoping for a short cut. thanks for the info

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
WASTEDTALENT said:
thanks for the info, i didn't even think about cross member mounts on the chasis :blam:, either way i can make this work im pretty good at fabricating i could make my own but i was hoping for a short cut. thanks for the info

Summit and Jegs both sell a simple bolt-in bracket to use the 200-4R crossmember in a pre-84 G-body.

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
Gforce is easy and really make the car stiffer ( i have T-tops i noticed in a big way). Just need to know the kind of trans and the year of the car. Before i had that all i did was cut the mounting plate off and weld it to the other side of course member. (TH400 is shorter)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
WASTEDTALENT said:
alright so this wednesday i will be dropping in the 455 out of a 442 into my buddies cutlass, its got a 400 trans for it i already have the 307 motor mounts picked them up earlier. i need to know if the 400 trans will bolt up to the 200r4 transmission cross member. any help is appreciated, ill post up picks for you guys once i get started.

TH-400 and 200-4R use the same crossmember. Direct swap.
You will need the proper driveshaft yolk, and you will need to have the driveshaft shortened approx. 1/2" - 3/4".

WASTEDTALENT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2010
joe_padavano said:
WASTEDTALENT said:

Summit and Jegs both sell a simple bolt-in bracket to use the 200-4R crossmember in a pre-84 G-body.

what are they called? cant seem to find them on the website

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor