455 no go

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody31

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2012
sounds like you have bigger issues ,,oil pump locked up,,jumped timing chain,,,something is definetly wrong,,,wish you were closer ,,id be over in a hot minute to lend a hand,,,start by verifying tdc,,go from there,,keep us posted,,,good luck,,,cheers,,,

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
It can't be something physically locking up if it spins fine with no power to the coil, I agree that you are 180 off on the dist. if it spins nice and quiet and you put spark to it and it locks up its because it is trying to fire in the wrong position. Could be a timing chain issue as well, that could also do it, like the above post said start over with the dist. Even if you have to pull the valve cover to be sure you are at TDC

Woodswagon1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2013
Yeah it's def the timing way out of whack thought I had it at TDC put dist in pointing at #1 and tried firing it up. It at least whirls over good coughing and spitting through the carb. Bad as that sounds its actually progress. Called the guy who put Humpty Dumpty to gather for me and he said line the timing mark up on the balancer with the marks off the block and set plug wires where button is pointing to as #one on through the firing order. Spent the rest of the evening trying to get the marks landed with the starter with no luck either too short or go too far past a very frustrating process. Had no luck getting a socket on the end of the crank shaft socket goes on but no room for the ratchet to manually line the marks up. Had to put tools away close the hood and walk away I've gotten myself to the point that this needs to be revisited tomorrow. Gonna pull the fan blade off to give me some room and start over fresh tomorrow as of now I'm drinking adult beverages calming my self down a bit and being glad I took today and tomorrow off from work to do some things around the house!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
enjoy your beverages and it's easier to get back to it with fresh eyes, even if they are a bit bloodshot... :mrgreen:

Woodswagon1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2013
pontiacgp said:
enjoy your beverages and it's easier to get back to it with fresh eyes, even if they are a bit bloodshot... :mrgreen:
That's a big 10-4 on fresh blood shot eyes! Hey I just noticed I'm not a noob any more my status is apprentice!!! That must mean that I don't know sh*t and am dumb enough to ask questions!!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Woodswagon1 said:
pontiacgp said:
That's a big 10-4 on fresh blood shot eyes! Hey I just noticed I'm not a noob any more my status is apprentice!!! That must mean that I don't know sh*t and am dumb enough to ask questions!!!

you got that backwards.....dumb people don't ask questions...and that's why they stay dumb.. :lol:

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
If you hooked a Prius to me I would cough and raise hell too. Sorry, just had to say it. :rofl:

Woodswagon1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2013
pontiacgp said:
Woodswagon1 said:
pontiacgp said:

you got that backwards.....dumb people don't ask questions...and that's why they stay dumb.. :lol:
That's a big 10-4 on stupid people staying stupid I know a couple unfortunately. Like your sig about beautiful,daughter and an having an alabie, got 2 little girls and dread the day that I gotta meet "the boy" but look forward to tossing him a shot gun shell and telling him they come a lot faster when he brings her home late.

Woodswagon1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2013
Alright after much wrenching today its alive! Kids were off to school wife was doing whatever she does when they're gone in the house and the old girl and I got intimate and she's alive. This thing is a beast to turn over by hand and oh yeah there is a TDC comp and exh I learned the difference today. Still got an issue she doesn't have the bag it did. The guy who put her back together for me stopped by and he's puzzled as I am. Now when I say no bag I mean it'll only lay about 5 to 8 foot patch from a stand still. This thing would literally melt the right rear for about 30' from a dead stop and just mash the right foot left foot need not apply! The day got late, wife had to go to work and I threw the water pump belt on our last lets try that run so we called it a day. Prior to mech/buddy leaving he asked what did you gap the new plugs to..............ahhh gap the plugs???? I just put them in? Went out after supper belts back on and tight and put the properly gapped plugs I took out back in fired her up and situated it in the drive as needed and shut her down ( wife at work youngest sleeping on the couch no chance for a test run). Is the gap that critical to power output? Mech buddy was gonna go home and chew on it I unfortunately start a maint shut down at work tomorrow for the next three weeks 6 days a week 10.5 hr days so I told him if the plug thing didn't work I was gonna drop it off to him next weekend to tear her apart and start over. Oh yeah as I sat there looking at this thing today it donned on me, and trust me I did know this, it only takes one little power wire for all the magic to happen. By today's standards that absolutely amazes me, to think about all the fuses I pulled to check while on the side of the road when she first died on me........what a noob!!!

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Could still be timing, too low and very little power and slow response to the throttle, carb coughing back. Too much timing is just as bad or worse. Try to find that sweet spot in the timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor