4door to 2door frame swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2009
Can I put my 79 monte carlo body on a 4 door cutlass frame? Also does anybody build a reasonably priced aftermarket tube chassis for these cars?

Thanks!
Dave

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
coggonobrien said:
Can I put my 79 monte carlo body on a 4 door cutlass frame? Also does anybody build a reasonably priced aftermarket tube chassis for these cars?

Thanks!
Dave

Except for the minor changes on the later cars due to the 200-4R crossmember location, all 78-88 G-body 2dr and 4dr frames interchange. Even the wagons use the same wheelbase, but there are some detail differences in the rear body mounts for the wagons. Caminos use a different wheelbase and do not interchange.

You cannot use the terms "reasonably priced" and "aftermarket tube chassis" in the same sentence.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
pontiacgp said:
if your looking for a Metric tube chassis...

http:
//www.johnsonchassis.com/

Which I assume is a circle-track chassis? I get the impression that the original question was about a replacement chassis for the stocker for street use.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G bodies were the first metric car build by GM.....in the racing world we call them metric.....if I say G body to some of the guys other teams they look at me kinda weird...lol

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
coggonobrien said:
what do you mean by metric?

It's pretty much a generic term some companies use for these cars since most used metric fasteners. Also, what are you using the car for? That will determine what kind of tube chassis you would want to buy.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
joe_padavano said:
pontiacgp said:
if your looking for a Metric tube chassis...

http:
//www.johnsonchassis.com/

Which I assume is a circle-track chassis? I get the impression that the original question was about a replacement chassis for the stocker for street use.

your right but you won't find any tubular chassis for a G body outside of a race shop. Those chassis do have all the pick up points of a stock G body. The front clip and the rear rails will have to be modified to incorporate the bumper shock mounts. I assume other mods would have to be made to the chassis to mount the body as well. I figured since he was asking about a tube chassis he has the knowledge and equipment to do what's needed. I'm sure he could get a local shop to fabricate a chassis to fit his requirements but that won't be cheap. We got the tube chassis built that uses a camaro front clip made and along with part of the cage and the driver side door bars it was around $2,300.

Mar 30, 2009
i was looking for something i could bolt into a street car for a slight pro touring set up. thanks for all the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor