4x4 el camino/ Good idea or should I be institutionalized

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I have seen some pictures of cars on 4x4 frames and I agree they look retarded. Oops I mean freaky. I have actually seen el caminos on 4x4 frames and I think it could be pulled off with the right wheels on an el camino. I'm not good with the clickity clack so maybe someone could photoshop what I'm talking about. It wouldn't be much different than those guy who put 20+ inch rims on their gbody's. Don't worry though, I'll probable just let my elc sit until I retire in 40 years or win the lotto. I'm not that serious about the 4x4 thing I'm just making conversation. Tell you the truth I'd rather stick a big c.i. small block with a tunnel ram and dual carbs sticking out the hood in it and turn it in to a strip car that can barely make it on the street. I've already mini tubbed it and now can fit 14inch wide tires on it. My problem is the lack of $$$$ and a 78 malibu that I love more. I'm half tempted to sell the elc, but I've got to much $$ invested into a shell of a car. I was able to download picture of the elc on photo album if anybody is interested.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
To be REALLY different under the hood, I would use the small displacement LSX ( 4.8?) out of a pickup and put a big turbo on it. Or, maybe see if something can be done with the L5 from a Colorado with a turbo and a 6 speed manual. Add AWD and 4 wheel independent suspension and you'd have the El Camino no one else has!

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Re: 4x4 el camino/ Good idea or should I be institutionalize

itsnotanova said:
I have this freshly painted 80 el camino body collecting dust and I was thinking about putting it on a modern 4x4 drivetrain. I've surfed salvage websites, and you can get a rolled,theft recovery or wrecked tahoe or blazer for almost next to nothing. The wheelbase is very close and I'm positve I could fab some body mounts. I'm thinking something clean, not an 80's flashback. No 44inch tires,ten thousand lights or shocks.No big ugly rollbar. clean and simple almost like it just came from the factory with some 35 inch meaty tires on 18inch rims..So what do you guys think?

If you have the money and the time then do it. It's your money and it's what you like that matters, not what everyone else thinks. People criticize my car because I painted it in black primer and I left it that way. One guy told me yesterday," oh that sucks you need to put some sealer on that or finish painting it" You know why he criticized me? Because he has nothing, he is married and wastes his money on illegal things. He is jealous.

I am not saying that all critics are jealous, some people just hate the idea and that's OK. Do what you want and have fun with it.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
How could someone not like black primer? He must be a pretend to be car guy. He definatly doesn't get the rat rod look. He probably looks at those kind of cars and says"where's the 26 inch rims ?","where's the ten color paint job with the coffe can exhaust?" Guys like him are all show and no go

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
itsnotanova said:
How could someone not like black primer? He must be a pretend to be car guy. He definatly doesn't get the rat rod look. He probably looks at those kind of cars and says"where's the 26 inch rims ?","where's the ten color paint job with the coffe can exhaust?" Guys like him are all show and no go

you said it!!!!!!! Best thing is his car can't fit 5 women, but mine can :twisted: And my car has POWER.....maby I should tell him that next time.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
itsnotanova said:

funny how this always starts, everytime, talk down on the guy that doesn't like the paint job that looks like it just cost you 97 cents at Wal-Mart, but then you turn around and make fun of the big rims and paint job that probably cost more then your house, and news flash, THE COFFE (or coffee as us more educated people spell it) can exhaust is over in the import world. Not big wheels dude, get outta the 80's and pay attention to whats goin on around you. Ever tried racing a 500hp WRX STi??? Most likely it'll end up pissing you off in the end. Oh yeah and back to the big wheels, no go. Look up what a set of them cost and imagine, if there's that much just into wheels and paint, what could there be under the hood? Here I'll show you a couple examples

653462_43_full.jpg

653462_44_full.jpg

bigwheelsbigmotors.jpg

653462_41_full.jpg

yeah that's just a couple ticks over 550hp, make the pic bigger check it out.

2194768_8_full.jpg

2406344_4_full.jpg

and these both have 454's what did you have again????

and some video's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xAjPLW2soo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCedwi3QUSk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs39H9nXeq8

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
pokertramp said:
you said it!!!!!!! Best thing is his car can't fit 5 women, but mine can :twisted: And my car has POWER.....maby I should tell him that next time.

oh and just to correct my last statement, I do like rat rods my buddy and I just finished a 70 Monte, primer black, black steel ralley wheels and a 700hp 502. And even if he put big wheels on it, bench seat... His seats 6 8)

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I'm gonna stay objective and say to each his own. However, I prefer function before form. So just to keep this fun argument alive, I wanna know how well you can hook up that power on 26" rims! :lol:

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Gears and tire width, I suppose. Have you seen how wide a 26" tire is? It's already like twice what the 14's and 15's these cars came with. I'm not sayin you can get a set of 26" mickey thompsons, nothin like that, most of the people who have big rims didn't build a 1/4 mile drag car, they built a show car( something that gets looked at). And I completely agree, to each his own. Just don't talk down on someone who has different taste then you do. You never know, your friends (or girlfriend) might just like his car more then yours. :lol:

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
Oh yeah and back to the big wheels, no go. Look up what a set of them cost and imagine, if there's that much just into wheels and paint, what could there be under the hood?
so they blow lots of money on the wheels an paint, then spend some more paying someone else to build them a 550hp motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor