5.7 LS or small block 350??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
JPsMonteSS said:
Not sure which route I wanted that's why I was asking you guys. It just has the stock 305 in it now. Im just short on time even tho winter isnt even here yet. I work 72hrs a wk.

A 350 swap would be a direct swap for the most part with very little modifications required. If good with motors and cars a 305 to 350 swap is a weekend job.

JPsMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2013
Michigan
Yeah Im not bad with a wrench. I like the sound of that :) since I have all winter might as well add a couple other thing while Im at it.

m.$terner

n00b
Jun 18, 2010
88MCsupersport said:
a 5.7 ls is a 350 with fuel injection, you'll also need to change your engine wiring harness if you put a carbureted 350 you can keep the same harness and it'll be cheaper and faster to do the swap personally its all what you prefer, shop around and see what go fast parts you can get for both engines see which ones are cheaper and that you would prefer to install.

Not to be rude but a 5.7 ls is not simply a 350 with fuel injection, not even close. maybe a vortec 350 you could make a case for that but thats about it. Ls1 is actually 346 ci and theres not a single sbc part that will fit on the engine. completley different animal but much more responsive to mods imo. Theres a lot more info on them and a huge following which means a huge aftermarket of performance. If wiring is a big deal consider the fact that you can get truck style (lq4) computers for around $50-$100 and and there are tons of stand alone wire companies out there if thats a major concern to anybody. PSI is one of the cheaper quality companies and there harness run around $500.

To the OP...

a 350 sbc is is pretty simple direct swap, but your not going to get a lot of performance out of it without putting money into the motor. The LS is a much better starting point and will respond much better with cheaper mods that have just a big of an aftermarket as any sbc motor would. For me I would do a LS without hesitation. Theres lots of builds threads out there on swapping LS's into g bodys and if your serious about it I would check out LS1tech.com to really get an idea of the power levels, costs, and work that has to be done to put a LS in one. I would also look at LQ4's rather than LS1's ( its the iron-block Ls2 engine basically that were used in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and is much much cheaper than a alum ls1 block). In the end its up to the amount of work you want to do and money you want to spend. For me id rather do something one time and be done with it and be happy with it. If you think a carbed 350 will do that for you then go for it.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
m.$terner said:
88MCsupersport said:
a 5.7 ls is a 350 with fuel injection, you'll also need to change your engine wiring harness if you put a carbureted 350 you can keep the same harness and it'll be cheaper and faster to do the swap personally its all what you prefer, shop around and see what go fast parts you can get for both engines see which ones are cheaper and that you would prefer to install.

Not to be rude but a 5.7 ls is not simply a 350 with fuel injection, not even close. maybe a vortec 350 you could make a case for that but thats about it. Ls1 is actually 346 ci and theres not a single sbc part that will fit on the engine. completley different animal but much more responsive to mods imo. Theres a lot more info on them and a huge following which means a huge aftermarket of performance. If wiring is a big deal consider the fact that you can get truck style (lq4) computers for around $50-$100 and and there are tons of stand alone wire companies out there if thats a major concern to anybody. PSI is one of the cheaper quality companies and there harness run around $500.

To the OP...

a 350 sbc is is pretty simple direct swap, but your not going to get a lot of performance out of it without putting money into the motor. The LS is a much better starting point and will respond much better with cheaper mods that have just a big of an aftermarket as any sbc motor would. For me I would do a LS without hesitation. Theres lots of builds threads out there on swapping LS's into g bodys and if your serious about it I would check out LS1tech.com to really get an idea of the power levels, costs, and work that has to be done to put a LS in one. I would also look at LQ4's rather than LS1's ( its the iron-block Ls2 engine basically that were used in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and is much much cheaper than a alum ls1 block). In the end its up to the amount of work you want to do and money you want to spend. For me id rather do something one time and be done with it and be happy with it. If you think a carbed 350 will do that for you then go for it.

I agree.... :wink: I did the 305 to 350 swap and wasn't happy... skipped TPI & LT1 and went with LS1 but if I would have to do it again I would do the LQ4.. oh well if the ls1 blows it's upgrade time!! it all depends on what you want to do but the $$ I spent on the 350 swap would've have gotten me a killer ls series setup. I recouped less then half of what I invested in that swap... oh well! :| I did save a lot of money on my ls1/t56 swap using a whole lot of used parts, few new parts and did my own harness which was a headache but way worth it once I got it done. In all I have about 6k for a complete engine, manual trans swap, rear, brakes, wheels&tires, interior redo...and that includes tuning, wiring,emissions and tags!! I did score some good deals and had some help too! 8) NOW my swap was done to comply with emissions legal standards SO if you don't have them it could be a lot cheaper in regards to the engine swap.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
The "LS1 isn't just a 350 with efi" was already covered... good to see, and if I were to go LS I would do a stroked 6.0 or 6.2. L92 heads are good for close to 700hp AS CAST, but that's with a very wild cam and lots of compression.

Yes, a 'typical' SBC will be cheaper, because there are stock parts available (either parts store or junkyard), and LS stuff is also just generally more expensive. You can still build a very strong running 350 and be happy with it. If you've never built a performance engine look into a Vortec 350, get the heads modified to take more lift, run the production roller setup, a carbed intake with a 600cfm carb, and put a Comp 08-422-8 in. You won't regret it. It will have good driveability, and pull hard all the way to 5500rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor