5.7 vortec install

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Dave V said:
96 setup is different indeed you may need to do some mods to get it to work. i have a 91 silverado setup with all the truck brackets and they work find. only thing nice about the 96 motors is they have the better a/c compressor....
I suggested the 90-93 caprice front setup may work, what do you think?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Dave V said:
96 setup is different indeed you may need to do some mods to get it to work. i have a 91 silverado setup with all the truck brackets and they work find. only thing nice about the 96 motors is they have the better a/c compressor....

do you know if the 96 compressor fit the older serpentine set up?

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
pontiacgp said:
Dave V said:

no it wont its too big you woud need the newer brackets....been there tried thar

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
LSCustoms said:
Dave V said:
I suggested the 90-93 caprice front setup may work, what do you think?
it may fit so would the 88-95 truck brackets just not sure how it would bolt to the block it should boltup...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Dave V said:
pontiacgp said:
Dave V said:

no it wont its too big you woud need the newer brackets....been there tried thar

thanks

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
I put one of these motors in my 1999 AWD Safari, it is a great motor.

I will say, the front of the block is a little different, I was unable to use the left over 1999 power steering and a/c bracket on my 1989 350, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember why. It had to do with the bracket with the lifting eye on the front left of the engine. On the same token, I'm not sure if the older bracket will bolt on to the newer enging.

I have a 1999 4.3 and an older 305 out in the bone yard, and one each of an older and newer serpentine power steering bracket, maybe if I get a chance I'll check it out this weekend.

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
rlsllc said:
I put one of these motors in my 1999 AWD Safari, it is a great motor.

I will say, the front of the block is a little different, I was unable to use the left over 1999 power steering and a/c bracket on my 1989 350, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember why. It had to do with the bracket with the lifting eye on the front left of the engine. On the same token, I'm not sure if the older bracket will bolt on to the newer enging.

I have a 1999 4.3 and an older 305 out in the bone yard, and one each of an older and newer serpentine power steering bracket, maybe if I get a chance I'll check it out this weekend.

Well thanks for helping out and solve the mystery a bit......

Aug 24, 2011
LSCustoms said:
most people do newer motor set ups, so i will have to look into this... all of the 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 stuff is fairly easy to adapt...

for example (with the 4.8-6.0), you would use the trans dapt 1" set back engine plates, to help clear the steering box... what made you go with that motor?
well,i'm in the body shop business and i got the complete truck for 400. at that time i didnt know that the lt/ls motor are the ones to get.also i have browsing this site ,will the s10 [v6 vortec] ac/alt/ serpentine work on my engine? whether or not if a/c is on left or right

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
Dave V said:

Dave,

How is hood clearance with that truck setup? I was thinking of doing that swap as well. What about the power steering box clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor