.50 taller ball joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
just dragging this item back up.....has anyone tried a different pitman and idler arm on heir G-body to correct bumpsteer? If so what worked best? I figure the pitman could be tweaked like pontiacgp mentioned above but there might be an issue heating the idler.....any suggestions?

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Allstar sells an adjustable idler. No need to bend anything.

Reactions: 1 user

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
excellent, thanks for that MC96, I didn't know they existed.....what about the pitman? Any ideas?

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
MC96, do you happen to know the minimum and maximum heights of that Allstar adjustable idler? I looked it up and they don't give physical dimensions on their site.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
MC96, do you happen to know the minimum and maximum heights of that Allstar adjustable idler? I looked it up and they don't give physical dimensions on their site.
There are plenty of custom options for 5" A body arms but none that I have seen for our cars.

Now, you could just run a regular pitman and idler and use a fully adjustable center link, I have one Id sell.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...dl0lV36UQSSnRHaoo-tXT-y3gbADv2H8aAj3YEALw_wcB

1550019038795.png

The idler and pitman studs are adjustable up and down so its the same as having adjustable pitman and idler arms

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I saw that option too......what do you think of using A body (Chevelle style) idler and pitman arms?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1968-72-Chevelle-A-Body-Idler-Arm,28609.html

And then a flat pitman arm like the one Howe sells?

https://howeracing.com/index.php/store/steering/pitman-arm-chevelle-modified.html

Idk about using a flat one (there are a ton on ebay like that) the problem with the chevelle stuff is its 5" instead of 6.5, so its going to slow your steering ratio down and reduce your ackerman or possibly give you reverse ackerman.

• Informative

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I've done a lazy google search and haven't found this......does anybody know the different lengths for GM's various pitman and idlers available that fit the 605 or 800 series saginaw steering boxes? A link will do if you know of one....

I have a quick ratio 800 series steering box so if I go with a shorter pitman/idler on the 12.7 ratio then it might work nicely with my skinny front-runner setup? I also still have the original 605 box I can go back to if required....

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I think you are going to be inducing more problems than fixing running shorter arms.

Either way

Capture.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor