600 to 800 pitman arm size help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
20150805_201336.jpg
Ok so I replaced my old 600 stock steering box with a rebuilt monte ss one. But my 600 pitman arm wont go on so I brought a new one off ebay that said for gbody up to 88. But my new 800 arm 8s longer then the old 600. Can someone please measure the centerline or even overall lenght for me please? Silver one is the stock 600 black one is the ebay buy for the 800.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you sure you had a 600 box?. The 600 box is expensive and has a servo instead of a recirculating ball. I have the delhi 600 box and it used the same pitman arm as the Z box the 600 replaced and that was the same arm on the stock box in my gp.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
He probably means 605 steering box. I'm wondering if that pitman arm was from an F-body car. Although, I think the F-Body arm is closer in size to the G-body pitman arm...or possibly from a Jeep Cherokee, or Grand Cherokee.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the 605 pitman shaft is 1 1/8" and the 800 is 1 1/4". You just need to find a G body with a 800 box and use that arm or buy a new or used one. GM only had a small and a large pitman shafts. This picture gives you the measurements...

allstar-pitman-arms-jpg.40644

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's good information, Steve.
It should probably be made a sticky.

That ceiling fan cracks me up every time I see it. :rofl:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
That is very good info! Chophead, I have been super busy and apologize for not getting that measurement for you. But the spec Steve provided is good info.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Guy I am sorry if I am ignorant about these things. This is why I ask for help. I removed the stock original box which was the 605. Again sorry. Which had the stock pitman arm.

I replaced it with a rebuilt monte quick ratio box. My arm I pulled off the old box was to small to fit the shaft. So using advice I got here 8 brought the allstar performance 56357 arm. But after comparing the small shaft arm to the new arm. The new arm is longer. Which is where I became concerned. So after reading this thread am I ok to use this arm after all?

And Jim thanks btw I know life gets busy and I appreciate all of your help.
Also thank you Steve for taking the time to look up that chart. And for explaining what you did.

So I am guessing the size difference is where the boxes output shafts sit....

MYFINE79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Brampton, Ontario. CANADA
I just changed my steering box from the original GM 800 series box, to the Detroit Speed 600 series box. the change over uses the same pitman arm. The 600 steering box is a Quick Ratio 12.7.1, & uses precision rack & pinion valve technology.
If the car had manual steering, & you are switching to power steering, then the pitman arm would need to be replaced.
Willie

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hmmm. Maybe I'll learn something new here but I've always thought that the 800 series F41 box that came on performance G bodies with quick ratio boxes that are 2.5 lock to lock had a unique pitman arm that is only available to the metric chassis cars (the 800 box was also available on 60's era GM cars). To my knowledge, it has never been produced aftermarket so if you have one hang on to it.

The F-body "F41" box is the same ratio as G-body "F41" box. Both are 12.7:1. The difference is the, f body boxes are stopped internally sooner than the g-body boxes to prevent wheel rub. You can still use an f-body box on a G body but with reduced turning radius unless you open it up and modify it. I'm not sure but believe the F body pitman arm is also different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor