600 to 800 pitman arm size help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Guy I am sorry if I am ignorant about these things. This is why I ask for help. I removed the stock original box which was the 605. Again sorry. Which had the stock pitman arm.

I replaced it with a rebuilt monte quick ratio box. My arm I pulled off the old box was to small to fit the shaft. So using advice I got here 8 brought the allstar performance 56357 arm. But after comparing the small shaft arm to the new arm. The new arm is longer. Which is where I became concerned. So after reading this thread am I ok to use this arm after all?

And Jim thanks btw I know life gets busy and I appreciate all of your help.
Also thank you Steve for taking the time to look up that chart. And for explaining what you did.

So I am guessing the size difference is where the boxes output shafts sit....

the new arm is the right one, if you had the short on then that was the wrong one. When you have the wheels pointed straight your drag link should be parallel to your sway bar.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Thank you!!!!!!!
I was just worried when the stock one didnt fit. Then I got the allstar one and the lenght difference worried me. Its not like I can go to the junk yard and pull a good box like I could have 10yrs ago. Thank you everyone for your help and now I can paint and install my arm. Thanks gbody forum!!!!

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Hmmm. Maybe I'll learn something new here but I've always thought that the 800 series F41 box that came on performance G bodies with quick ratio boxes that are 2.5 lock to lock had a unique pitman arm that is only available to the metric chassis cars (the 800 box was also available on 60's era GM cars). To my knowledge, it has never been produced aftermarket so if you have one hang on to it.

The F-body "F41" box is the same ratio as G-body "F41" box. Both are 12.7:1. The difference is the, f body boxes are stopped internally sooner than the g-body boxes to prevent wheel rub. You can still use an f-body box on a G body but with reduced turning radius unless you open it up and modify it. I'm not sure but believe the F body pitman arm is also different.
I got mine from southwest speed I think? I cant find the receipt but I have seen them out there because a lot of sportsman class cars [atleast that's what they used to call them at kalamazoo raceway] had to run a metric chassis all stock in the front,so a few places had them I do know the s10 2wd 98 and newer has a shorter arm and the Camaro has a longer arm and if you use the corresponding idler arm I think it might work but the arms are going to affect the feel of the steering

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Hmmm. Maybe I'll learn something new here but I've always thought that the 800 series F41 box that came on performance G bodies with quick ratio boxes that are 2.5 lock to lock had a unique pitman arm that is only available to the metric chassis cars (the 800 box was also available on 60's era GM cars). To my knowledge, it has never been produced aftermarket so if you have one hang on to it.

The F-body "F41" box is the same ratio as G-body "F41" box. Both are 12.7:1. The difference is the, f body boxes are stopped internally sooner than the g-body boxes to prevent wheel rub. You can still use an f-body box on a G body but with reduced turning radius unless you open it up and modify it. I'm not sure but believe the F body pitman arm is also different.

I got my pitman arm from Southwest Speed, works great with 800 box, which is a Cardone reman with application to G-body F41. But the box sure seems to be stopped internally -- the turning radius is much wider than the 605 it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor