67 442 NOT-build Thread!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, finally got the "headliner windlace" and it is literally just a round strip of very soft 1/2" foam with black cloth sewn around it. What the hell would you even use that for? Gotta have something that slips over that metal lip along both sides [that will stay on] and hold the headliner up in the process. The plastic stuff that was on it was at least a U channel edging. It was too short and did not fit well [tight] enough to stay on but it was a U channel edging.

I have no idea what this stuff even is? But it's going back.

Can you think of what it would be used for? Almost like something you would stuff in a crack to perhaps seal up wind noise?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I was happy how my headliner went up in the 70. Is your 67 the same style? Honestly, it is better than the fabric on cardboard, which always separate.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Here is what they sent. The only thing I can think you could even use this for would be to literally sew the flap onto the edge of the headliner cloth and then stuff the foam rubber part in that channel behind the pinch weld? Not sure that would stay though??

This is going back. Need a C or U channel trim that is wide enough or has a side flap to cover and hold up the edge of the headliner.

This is for the sides BTW, not the front or back . . .

IMG_1238.jpg

And the way it was when it arrived . . . This purely U channel trim was too loose as that back part fell off just during transit in a closed trailer. Of course, it was about 9" too short too.

IMG_1195.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had to scrub the sh*t out of the rubber edging along with clamps and glue to hold it in place on the 70S. My headliner, similar to that one wasn't too bad to put up.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Does your trim look similar to what came in mine? I never thought about gluing it. But it also appears to need a side flap to catch the headliner and also to cover any imperfections right along the edge.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Kind of but a wider rubber. Yes it pushes in the groove where it is supposed to hold in place. Some parts stayed, other parts needed glue and clamping.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, I found a wider vinyl U-trim that also has a slightly tighter U channel so it should grip that pinch weld edge tighter. Should be here Monday. I will try glue if it still has trouble staying up. Just hope it's wide enough to cover the slight imperfections in the edge of the headliner. Since I a) can't seem to get my 87 headliner redone once, I certainly hope I don't have to do my 67 twice like "do it twice Garth" tends to have to do everything. You eventually have to just blame the mechanic but this happens in all aspects of life, not just here. And like most all the do it twice situations, I think the previous owner using the wrong headliner trim was probably NOT my fault. But . . .

AT THIS RATE, I MAY NEVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER GET DONE WITH EITHER CAR. :rant:

Sorry, was that loud?

Remember this is my "driver car" to "drive" while I'm not "driving" my 87 until I can "drive" it again. Or something like that?

I need a cute puppy pic . . .

Not that I can ever replace Xena or any of my dogs, here's my new baby posing for the camera . . . 4 weeks to go.

IMG_1239.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Got the shipment yesterday [Saturday] and . . . it's the wrong stuff. Smaller than what was on the car. Oh well, I guess I am batting 1000 getting the wrong windlace for my 67.

I nearly got my red, white, and blue LED pond fountains ready to turn on for the 4th . . . does that count as progress?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
OK, you all might want to set down. This could be construed as actual progress, god forbid.

I actually went out and took all the measurements I need for the rear deck sound shelf/box [will be somewhat similar to the one for my 87] and made a paper template for the carpeting to finish the trunk floor. But, I learned it's amazing how fast things can start to rust? Under the makeshift plastic trunk liner the previous owner put down, there is a LOT of surface rust already. He must have used a crappy sealer. Nothing I can't remove - reseal but just something else to do before I can put down Dynamat, install the black carpeting, then slide in my sound shelf/box for the subwoofer/amp and (2) 6x9s. Since the rear deck won't accommodate 6x9s and there isn't enough sound relief, I think I will mount the 6x9s on a slight angle just below the rear deck.

Bad news is the last thing I did was crawl in the back seat to take some measurements on the rear deck and I couldn't get out of the ****ing car. Partly just from almost no support under the poorly done back seat bottom so you sink down way too far (something else to fix) but was more something related to my degenerative autoimmune crap. Pain was WAY too intense in my hips, knees, ankles, elbows, and wrists trying to pull myself out of the back seat of a car like you normally do. Actually had to flip around, lay down, and slither out head first onto the garage floor. :roll:

But, it does kinda explain my lack of getting much done on either project . . .

Going to focus though on just completing the sound systems in both cars for now. No high torque or terribly strenuous activity involved there. Trying to focus on the magnitude of what is left to do especially on the 87 with all the unplanned surprises it has, it can be a tad overwhelming when you feel this badly.

Baby Steps . . . but progress!

Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
hate to hear that progress has come to a literal crawl. glad you're still in the game, just don't push too hard and end up going backwards instead of taking steps forwards, as it'll take twice as long to recover...
hope the healing process continues!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor