67 442 NOT-build Thread!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yup, I know. My big block in my 87 with aluminum heads, intake, even a FloKooler aluminum water pump
thumbsup.gif
weighs 40 lbs less than the small block did. And [currently] makes more than twice the power. Gotta love that. I've just spent enough money lately. SBC Edelbrock Performer? $175-200. BBO? $350-400. Buying used is too unpredictable.

EDIT: BTW, I used those Permadryplus valve cover gaskets on my aluminum heads big block with the early 70s stamped Oldsmobile valve covers and have had zero issues. Believe it or not, with the Comp Cams roller rockers and the .496/.512 lift cam, I had a slight tick in a couple of spots and just needed the additional clearance the thicker gasket allowed. Problem solved. I have not tried them on iron heads though.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The rigid carrier Permadry's worked great on multiple motors and were dripping just a tiny bit. I looked at them, some of the silicone lines had come off near the edges, I kept and can probably fix them. They were the only gasket I tried short of RTV to glue on the covers, which also worked, that sealed Edelbrock Signature series on 307 5A heads. Unfortunately, they are discontinued and no longer available and the Rocket Racing gaskets are a good alternative. I get it with the price on Olds specific parts.The Performer is so much lighter, will no doubt pull higher rpms but like all Edelbrock intakes, it might be warped out of box anyways, so used isn't so bad. Just use your engine hoist to assist with that iron b*tch.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
What did you have to plane it or something?
Yeah, the valley angle was wrong. Edelbrock said that it is designed for stock type gaskets (RTV). I had .0013 to one side bottom to top mismatch, so I had 0 bottom to- .0065 top taken off each intake flange. It doesn't sound like much, but I was able to use Ultra-seals with no RTV and it didn't leak.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, the valley angle was wrong. Edelbrock said that it is designed for stock type gaskets (RTV). I had .0013 to one side bottom to top mismatch, so I had 0 bottom to- .0065 top taken off each intake flange. It doesn't sound like much, but I was able to use Ultra-seals with no RTV and it didn't leak.

PM sent (y)

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Are you sitting down? This is bordering on actual progress . . .

Well, sound system swap is underway. I've been waiting on this carpet for the trunk. Dynamat is already down on the deck behind the rear seat. Then carpeting the whole trunk floor. Then the down firing sub goes in. Then the amp. Then I have a cover similar to what I'm doing on my 87 and enough extra carpet to cover it. Hopefully will look decent enough. Old kick panels are out up front but I decided to wait on the carpet and the amp installation/wiring in the trunk to put the speaker'd kick panels back in to keep from doing them twice for some unknown reason? And, "I think" I know how I'm going to hang the 6x9s. More on that when I'm sure . . .

And I now have floor mats (y)! Notice they actually have a GM tag?
I know, pics and film of the car smoking tires. Film? :doh:Geez, that dates me . . . Um, video . . . that's it!

If I can get the sound system in, the transmission kickdown switch working reliably, get the R134 conversion done and, if my health allows, I may be headed for Placitas, NM next weekend. Now, that is 4 "ifs" so that is close to a snowball in hell statistic but you have to dare to dream . . .

And it should only take 6 tanks of gas in the ole girl . . . and I may leak a few quarts of oil? The motor needs to come out to fix that properly. I ain't doing that until my 87 is back on the road again.

IMG_1228.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Forgot to mention I have the right headliner windlace on the way . . . and enough of it to redo that properly.

Looks like the trip in the 67 to NM is out though . . .

Friend just moved there and, though he did not actually ask me down there to help, when he told me all that was left to do, he obviously needs another truck. They moved most of their stuff from Dallas into temporary storage in Albuquerque a couple months ago. So, I'm taking the truck.

Might be a safer idea anyway since I've only gotten like 47 miles on the 67 so far with swapping wheels/tires, the carb, trying to fix oil leaks, getting a kickdown switch that works, fixing the headliner, and now putting in an entire sound system. Especially with the new QJ and wheels/tires on, it runs/drives smooth enough, I feel pretty confident in it but a few more miles locally wouldn't hurt before I go off on 1200 mile trips.

Remember how this was going to be my "driver" car until I get my 87 back together? Yeah right . . .

But, this also gives me the opportunity to get my new exhaust for this car and the one I have back off my 87 down to OKC on the way to Placitas to get them blasted and ceramic coated down at Jet-Hot. Just throw them in the back of the truck and drop them off on the way down. (y)

And, the important part: The wife is MUCH less worried with this plan . . . :rolleyes:

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor