• No, try to get a posi in there

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I find the "throw away" and "not rebuildable" crap to be just that- crap. However, that's exactly what they are because there are no parts to be had. I got it apart, found a defect, and am quite confident I could get it back together. But, alas, i am staying open to save money. It' a commuter, not a racecar.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
My vote is not to spend a penny on a 7.5" I've torn up a few of them, stock and built. Finally just bolted a GN 8.5" in and added a Detroit Tru-Trac geared position and haven't looked back since

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
'89??? That's almost 3 decades ago and the last century. How old are you?

:):)

Not as old as I sound, apparently.

I made a cell phone video yesterday of a car I'm selling; getting in/out, bending down to show underneath. I play back the video and it sounds like I'm going to keel over and die. I'm afraid someone watching it will dial 911. I don't feel old, I just sound old.

• Winner

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I find the "throw away" and "not rebuildable" crap to be just that- crap. However, that's exactly what they are because there are no parts to be had. I got it apart, found a defect, and am quite confident I could get it back together. But, alas, i am staying open to save money. It' a commuter, not a racecar.

Some years back I was ready to buy a used Auburn until I ran into a trustworthy source that advised against it due to not being able to rebuild it. Going from memory, I was told that each unit is built to the case because the cases (differential housing) are not built identically, and hence, no replacement parts available. FWIW, I thought it was crap as well.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Some years back I was ready to buy a used Auburn until I ran into a trustworthy source that advised against it due to not being able to rebuild it. Going from memory, I was told that each unit is built to the case because the cases (differential housing) are not built identically, and hence, no replacement parts available. FWIW, I thought it was crap as well.
I can see where they would need to be "set up" for proper operation. It's an interesting design with the side gears creating friction on a tapered surface in the carrier. There's a plate that screws into the end of the carrier opposite the ring gear side that gets pinned in place. It's almost as if it was a failed precursor to the Thorsen type. I don't like things that aren't serviceable!

• Agree

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
Send it back to Auburn. Only they can rebuild em!
I've had an Auburn Pro Series in my Buick Grand National for over 8 years & no problems. Had to replace my factory Posi unit which was toast. I too was initially leary about not being able to rebuild it, but was told (and later confirmed in their warranty literature), to send back to Auburn for repair / rebuild.

I say give it a go, send it back to them and get an estimate on the repair costs. Heck if it's too much , just tell em to keep the damn thing and go ahead with plan "B".

Why not give Auburn's Technical Department a phone call and have a conversation. Costs nothing to do this.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Auburn = Borg Warner. Borg Warner spun them off in the 1980's. Other Borg Warner Differentials are the 3rd gen "Australian B&W 9 bolt" and the Mopar 8.75"

Going back to the 1970's you can remember people bitching about their "cone style" 8 3/4" sure grip. The bitching continued into the 1980's with the 3rd gen 9 bolts. They were quieter and smoother than some of the alternative designs and worked fine until they didn't... and then you needed a new one.

Auburn differentials, like Richmond 6 speeds, showed that slick marketing in the 1990's can make known, non-bulletproof parts sound bulletproof. The Magazine ads just had to say so and people would believe it. If they weren't who would know? Its not like everyone's connected by computer and can tell the world how crappy something is seconds after they find out.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Send it back to Auburn. Only they can rebuild em!
I've had an Auburn Pro Series in my Buick Grand National for over 8 years & no problems. Had to replace my factory Posi unit which was toast. I too was initially leary about not being able to rebuild it, but was told (and later confirmed in their warranty literature), to send back to Auburn for repair / rebuild.

I say give it a go, send it back to them and get an estimate on the repair costs. Heck if it's too much , just tell em to keep the damn thing and go ahead with plan "B".

Why not give Auburn's Technical Department a phone call and have a conversation. Costs nothing to do this.
Nah, it's not worth it to me. This carrier was given to me by a friend that pulled it out of an S-10. I have nothing lost (other than an afternoon of sanity) and nothing gained. Screw it. My car has seen very little road time since October of last year when the original torque converter started coming loose inside (educated guess for engine speed vibration). Since then, it has been the Series 2 debacle, and gas in the truck is killing me at 13 mpg doing 100mi/day. It's going back together as an open.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I can see where they would need to be "set up" for proper operation. It's an interesting design with the side gears creating friction on a tapered surface in the carrier. There's a plate that screws into the end of the carrier opposite the ring gear side that gets pinned in place. It's almost as if it was a failed precursor to the Thorsen type. I don't like things that aren't serviceable!

I agree but they would have lasted much more than the expected life of the vehicle especially if the power train was left stock

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
At least with the upgraded spider gears, once the motor goes through a few cycles, just beat on it. I say run 75W90 or 75w140 synthetic to help it live.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor