7.5 posi unit installation? ????'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 7.5 rear end with 241 gears and I'm wanting to install a 7.5 2 series posi unit can I just remove the old complete unit with the gear on it and install the gear on the new posi unit without removing the pinion gear and install everything back? THANKS

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yes, if you have the shims from the posi carrier in the same position they came out of the other rear end those shims should give you the right backlash. You will still want to check the pattern of the gears and the backlash

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Check the pattern before and after.

• Agree

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Do you have the cups for the bearings that came with the posi? If not, I would strongly recommend replacing the side bearings as the Cup (Outer Race) and Cone (Inner Race) are mated parts. The shim pack in the current rear axle should work fine. Still check the back lash and gear pattern before and after.

Last edited:
  • Agree

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I had new timken bearings installed on the posi unit with new races also but don't have the shims from the posi unit so will the stock shims work that is in the rearend? THANKS

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I had new timken bearings installed on the posi unit with new races also but don't have the shims from the posi unit so will the stock shims work that is in the rearend? THANKS

Yes! Re install the shims from the sides from which they were removed and again check your pattern and back lash before and after.
I've swapped a few posi units on the 7.5/7.625's and by using the shim pack from the axle housing the posi unit was going in to, it fell right into spec.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor