7.5 rear rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
ok, i have my stock 7.5 rear that i have sittting with a posi and 3.42 gears. can i get by with just a new crush sleeve, proper shimming and cover seal? or should i replace all bearings and seals? i have never really heard of bearing failure on a rear end and i see no signs of needing to be replaced. i am new to rear ends but i need to get this doen and i am also going to be doing the 7.5 in my cutlass next.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
do you have the proper gauges to check pinion depth? or are you just winging it?

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
you need to have the bearings at least inspected... id change the carrier bolts too....

they sell overhaul kits for very decent prices...why not look into them?

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
I would go ahead and replace the bearings if you have not driven a car with this rearend installed. When the bearings go bad in these rears they will howl while driving down the road. Just because the bearing race does not show anything doesn't mean there is not a problem with the hearing. I don't know how many times I have seen a bearing that looked just fine unit I cut the cage off and looked at the inner race and it was all chewed up causing the noise the customer was hearing.

A rebuild kit for these rears is pretty cheap, should cost around $100 for the bearings, seal, crush sleave and possibly even the pinion nut. A kit will not include the axle seals and bearings or even gears.

Randy

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have been looking into kits. i have driven with both rear ends that i am swapping gears in, just drove one of them to get my lunch, lol. i am not using the measurement tools so yea i am winging it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor