7.5 Ring and Pinion Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Bonnewagon, yes a dial indicator. We improperly call them drop indicators at work because we measure the drop from one surface to another on parts we manufacture.

I used Dykem to scribe the location on the gasket surface for the magnetic base, locked in the arm and measured to the end face of the pinion gear before removal. I shimmed the new pinion at the same depth as the one I pulled out.

I replaced the original guts with a posi unit and numerically higher gears. My only monetary investment was the setup kit with bearings, shims, etc so it was one of those learn something new, not much to lose projects.

The “procedure” I used was given to me by one of those old guys that seems to know all the tricks. It may or may not have been the right way, and probably definitely not the right way on a high end or high hp car, but seemed to work well in my application.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That sounds like a great procedure. I mean it accomplishes the same thing, right? I'll have to try it some time. Of course the key is measuring BEFORE taking anything apart. :doh:

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
That sounds like a great procedure. I mean it accomplishes the same thing, right? I'll have to try it some time. Of course the key is measuring BEFORE taking anything apart. :doh:

Very similar to the measure twice, cut once adage.

Measure. Measure again. Disassemble. Mock up and check specs. Disassemble and repeat as necessary. Assemble. Measure one more time. Check specs. Install into car and see what happens.

I’m sure an experienced wrench can knock it out in a few hours, but I probably had the better part of a day in the project.

Rocket Powered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2017
Nebraska
Update: well guys, I solved the issue a week ago. Haven' had the time update. My inner pinion race wasn't fully seated. Whether it inched out during the several assembling/ disassembled I don't know. Very well could a been a dumba $$ attack... all makes since now. Like i said, pattern shows all. Just fine tuning now. Just a question, do you all go by factory spec on backlash or pattern ?

Attachments

• 20180225_083344.jpg
    20180225_083344.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 20180225_083244.jpg
    20180225_083244.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 177

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Update: well guys, I solved the issue a week ago. Haven' had the time update. My inner pinion race wasn't fully seated. Whether it inched out during the several assembling/ disassembled I don't know. Very well could a been a dumba $$ attack... all makes since now. Like i said, pattern shows all. Just fine tuning now. Just a question, do you all go by factory spec on backlash or pattern ?

Usually the wear pattern is where the marker is wiped off, but you managed to get it on the gear in the wear area ??. Whatever, that pattern looks a lot better. Really glad you took the time to recheck your work. That race not being installed correctly would've wrecked the gear set in short order and lead to a pile of disappointment .

• Agree

Rocket Powered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2017
Nebraska
Usually the wear pattern is where the marker is wiped off, but you managed to get it on the gear in the wear area ??. Whatever, that pattern looks a lot better. Really glad you took the time to recheck your work. That race not being installed correctly would've wrecked the gear set in short order and lead to a pile of disappointment .

I had painted a few teeth before the teeth in the pic. In the pic,the yellow, is where the teeth meshed. I had totally cleaned 5 or so teeth to see exactly where contact was made. Too much $ to just throw it together and hope for the best. Gotta be done right

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So Steve nailed it- bearing race not seated. The yellow is where the teeth made contact? If so then- much better. New gears? Use factory new gears specs. Congrats!!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Glad you found it, looks a lot better. I personally like the solid pinion spacer for the 7.5", supposed to help strengthen our junk rear. I measured the factory depth before I pulled the 2.56 gears and went to used 3.42 gears. I only had to do it twice due to spider gears exploding after I broke the Powertrax No Slip with Slicks at the track and went back to open spider gears. The Trutrac is good choice behind any sort of power eliminating the tiny posi spider gears.

Rocket Powered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2017
Nebraska
So Steve nailed it- bearing race not seated. The yellow is where the teeth made contact? If so then- much better. New gears? Use factory new gears specs. Congrats!!
Yup, yellow where the teeth contacted. Also yup, new gears. 373's. New everything other than the housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor