7.5 Ring and Pinion Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
With 28 spline axles and a girdle cover it might actually handle some power, good luck.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
3:73's will take much of the load off the gears and axles. That helps the 7.5 tolerate a lot of abuse. Mine lived behind a Pontiac 400 for 10 years.

Rocket Powered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2017
Nebraska
Until now, I've had my stock 1 wheel wonder with 3:08 gears. All behind a built olds 350 R & a hard hitting transmission. 18 years and no rearend issues. This trutrac eliminates the 7.5 weakness, small spider gears.Just street fun, I'm not worried. In fact, after this project I'm getting high stall torque converter.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My spider gears exploded on the street behind a 15's in the 1/4, Olds 403, they are too small and way to soft, stock. They blew a hole in the girdle cover and took out the pinion. The Yukon factory replacement spider gears help up fine behind a mid 14's Olds 350 with no signs of wear, no doubt much harder. Slicks were used with both.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the two pinion gears in the Auburn posi are much smaller than the pinion gears in the open carrier. I blew the two pinion gears in my Auburn by just poping the clutch to chirp the tires to show off at a friend's garage. Pushed the GP in and put it up on the lift and put my old open carrier back in till I found the 8.2 I was looking for.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
the two pinion gears in the Auburn posi are much smaller than the pinion gears in the open carrier. I blew the two pinion gears in my Auburn by just poping the clutch to chirp the tires to show off at a friend's garage. Pushed the GP in and put it up on the lift and put my old open carrier back in till I found the 8.2 I was looking for.

Auburn's are turds - no rebuilding ???? I never figured out why anyone designed them other than knowing they could leave out the non-rebuildable detail to the consumer and still sell them. They are comparably priced to Eaton clutch, detroit lockers, etc. In a normal world spider gear failures only occur when they are worn out. As built new, they are not the weak link, even in the 7.5. Pinion and carrier bearing size creating instability is their issue.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Auburn's are turds - no rebuilding ???? I never figured out why anyone designed them other than knowing they could leave out the non-rebuildable detail to the consumer and still sell them. They are comparably priced to Eaton clutch, detroit lockers, etc. In a normal world spider gear failures only occur when they are worn out. As built new, they are not the weak link, even in the 7.5. Pinion and carrier bearing size creating instability is their issue.

The Auburn I had wasn't new but it wasn't worn out either. The 8.2 I have now has the Eaton posi which still has the original clutch disks and working great.

Reactions: 1 user

Rocket Powered

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2017
Nebraska
All finished up. Test drive yesterday, hiway and city driving. No whining, howling, nothing at all! Driving or in the garge pushing it around. Quite as a church mouse on Sunday! Thanks Everyone for all the info, help, and just a great place to bounce ideas, solutions around! See ya in another post!

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Congrats! And you learned a new skill. Isn't that what Hot Rodding is all about?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well done! I remember the headaches of doing the posi and gear swap in the 7.625" in Natasha's '02 Camaro. I was lucky using GM gears and a factory posi it all went back in using the original shims/spacers. But, torqueing it all down was a colossal PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor