'78-'81 Lemans/GA Hood Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I'd like to see the Lemans/GrandAm with an L-88 style hood because the design goes hand in hand with the Trans Am reverse "shaker" scoop. Just my opinion.

Doug

Pontiacdaver

Greasemonkey
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
From reading all the posts, it looks like a shaker hood is the general favorite (mine as well).

Troy, would a shaker scoop attached to the underside of the hood (like the photo you posted on the first page of this thread) work? You could even enlarge the scoop in height, width, and length, sort of exaggerate it. I think a shaker that is, say, 1 1/2 times the size of a stock shaker (you'd have to play with the dimensions to figure out what looks "right"), permanently mounted to the hood, would look cool and keep the Pontiac heritage. Just a thought.

The photo was Tracy Sansom's car, wasn't it?

-Dave

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Yes, that's Tracy's car. It looks good, but I didn't like the little triangular air cleaner that he has to run to fit under it. I still don't know what I'm going to do. I've got some time yet. Motor still isn't done and the body still isn't back on the frame yet.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
The problem is the 78-81 Pontiac market is so limited that we get nothing. I have a 79 GP and wish there were hood options out there. Heck how is it we cant even get a Pontiac Gbody dash bezel reproduction??? Those bezels were on all the 78-87 GP'S, Lemans & GA'S, there has to be a market for that!

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
VFN does make a 4" cowl hood for the '78-'80 G/P. Maybe it's not what everyone wants for their Pontiac, but it works with a higher than stock intake. At this point, I'd be happy with it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
tdvick said:
I still haven't come up with a hood solution. I started kicking around another idea. Has anyone used a Super Duty style scoop on their car, or seen someone that has? I'm wondering how one of these would look. VFN sells these as something that can be added to a hood. I'd probably be considering one of the larger ones. Thoughts?

On my old Regal I put on a scoop off an old diesel Ryder truck and cut a hole in the hood to make it functional, it was made of fiberglass and had hidden studs for mounting to the hood of the truck and had a screen in the back.
These pictures of my Regal are probably from the early 90's

Attachments

• hpqscan0002.jpg
    hpqscan0002.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 434
  • hpqscan0003.jpg
    hpqscan0003.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 453

kad5118

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2010
tdvick said:
The problem that I see this the ram air style hood is the square body lines and the wide header panel. I don't know if that style hood would fit with the lines of these cars or not. The A and F bodies that they were used on were a much more rounded car. I think the lines of the '64 or '65 GTO are probably the ones that most closely match these cars. They are both boxes. I don't think a '65 to '67 hood scoop would do anything for clearance either.

I really thought there would be a lot of interest in this, though, I'm starting to think VFN might be making the right decision by not offering a raised hood for these cars.

Oh, here's a picture for you guys that like the shaker. It does look good, just don't work for what I want to do...

im really loving that hood thats on your grand am do they actually make that custom hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor