'78-'81 Lemans/GA Hood Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
The feedback that I had gotten before is that most people wouldn't be interested in a standard Chevy style cowl hood on a Pontiac. What's your thought's on this style hood on a '78 to '81? This is a hood that VFN offers for '67-'69 Firebirds. I'm not sure how it would look on a G body. I just modified the leading edge of the Firebird hood to look more like it would on a '78-'81. I'm asking because VFN said that if they can get about 10 people to commit to buying a hood, they would tool up for it. The design is open at this point. Here's my modified picture.

This is the hood as it would be for the Firebird,

Attachments

• 4inchorts mod.JPG
    4inchorts mod.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,488
  • 4inchorts.jpeg
    4inchorts.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,410

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Hey, I would go with a shaker from a T/A or Fire bird for 78-81 Grand Am or Lemans, Then all thats needed is the shaker and I can use the stock hood.

Doug

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Doug213xrj said:
Hey, I would go with a shaker from a T/A or Fire bird for 78-81 Grand Am or Lemans, Then all thats needed is the shaker and I can use the stock hood.

Doug

x2

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
If I could design a hood for them I would lean towards something like the '71-72 GTO style. The center could be raised slightly for hood clearance and it still has that Pontiac identity about it. I like the 68-70 GTO style but it doesn't do much for hood clearance unless it could be modified. The nice thing about the 68-70 is that it shares that similar center section that runs all the way to the front of the car like the GA & LeMans have. Otherwise I like the shaker too.
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/6872gto.htm

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
The main reason that I'm trying to get a hood is for clearance. A shaker does look good. I've seen a couple examples of them on these cars. There's no clearance gained with that though. I don't want to screw around with tiny air cleaners trying to get my motor to fit under the hood. Just trying to find something that would look better than a Chevy cowl.

adam6640

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2008
Hugo Ok
I agree with g-body vet a ram air style for sure raised a little then you could keep the pontiac lines

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
The problem that I see this the ram air style hood is the square body lines and the wide header panel. I don't know if that style hood would fit with the lines of these cars or not. The A and F bodies that they were used on were a much more rounded car. I think the lines of the '64 or '65 GTO are probably the ones that most closely match these cars. They are both boxes. I don't think a '65 to '67 hood scoop would do anything for clearance either.

I really thought there would be a lot of interest in this, though, I'm starting to think VFN might be making the right decision by not offering a raised hood for these cars.

Oh, here's a picture for you guys that like the shaker. It does look good, just don't work for what I want to do...

Attachments

• GA Shaker.jpg
    GA Shaker.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 2,965

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I think the '81 LeMans is probably the best front end to go with a shaker. It reminds me of the '77-78 TA in a way.

On 2nd thought, I don't think a cowl hood would be too bad as long as it follows the lines from where the header panel crests. I think the anti-cowl sentiment just comes from wanting to retain some Pontiac identity. I imagine the Regal guys prefer turbo hoods, as how the Cutlass guys prefer a Hurst scoop or W30 hood.

Or....you could go out on a limb and try something similar to a '73 GA with the naca ducts incorporated. The only downside is that a lot of people probably wouldn't recognize the Poncho lineage and just think you did some weird sh*t to your car :lol:

Attachments

• PontiacGrandAm1973yellowfads.jpg
    PontiacGrandAm1973yellowfads.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,741

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Still like to find a raised hood option. Looks like it's going to be a struggle finding something that a handful of people could agree on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor