78 Cutlass Salon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssgpolo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 21, 2010
Ft Worth, Texas
Good afternoon all. Was looking for some help locating some parts. I am the proud owner of a 78 Cutlass Salon. Yeah, the fast back. Let the jokes fly. Ive heard them all. Either you like it or you dont no inbetween. Sorry, I digress.

I am looking for parts or info on how to fabricate the interior rear window molding. Mine was missing when I bought the car. I am willing to pay for a set or for one to make a mold out of. Any advice? Thanks again.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Welcome to the site! Do you have a 2 door or 4 door, I have access to a 4 door that has most of the interior together.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome aboard. I agree with you, I would like to have a 78-80 Salon.

Doug

ssgpolo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 21, 2010
Ft Worth, Texas
Mine is a two door. Got lucky. Terrible original color combo, baby blue and white. Buckets and floor shift is a plus. The window molding may work. I have only seen one. Have never seen another 2 door fastback. Will start driving it full time next week. Brake switch at the pedal failed. Thanks for the welcome. Hope all is well.

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
please show some pics of your "buttless cutlass"
i love BOTH the 2 and 4 door Salon and Century fastbacks.
I almost bought a 2 door Cutlass that was on Ebay a while back.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
ssgpolo said:
I will post when I figure out how to upload the files.
best way to post on here is to have a photobucket account. load pics onto there then copy the IMG link from the pics to paste here....sounds like a b*tch...but its not that hard to do...

ssgpolo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 21, 2010
Ft Worth, Texas
Here is the story if there is interest...

I picked this beauty up for $741 ($700 plus TTL) from a used car lot about a year ago. As I said earlier, baby blue and white. Interior is/was (currently under construction) blue and white. As we all know, the lighter the color of the platic trim pieces, the chalkier they are. All had to go. There were no window molding to rehab or copy. Current interior plastic is refinished 84 Grand Prix. The sail panels and window molding are going to be custom. :(( Had a set of virgin 73 Z-28 wheels that needed a car to go on and a set of used 235/60-15s. That made a huge difference. They replaced the faux 1979 spoke wheels that came on it.

Typical of the Salon model, the body was rusted at the corner of the rear windows. As well, it had a half vinyl top. Several rust holes had to be fixed. I hate body work...

Pics show several areas of primer. It has since been primered and will stay that way for awhile. I play with paint schemes using primers until I get what I want then take it to the shop for paint and finish work.

There are new seats (97 Blazer buckets, re-skinned in black leather, bolted to the original bucket frames), rear windows re-sealed and rust holes fixed, needs finish work.

Will be installing a tubular suspension from Gbodyparts.com along with spings, KYB shocks etc. Will also be putting in carpet, headliner, and reinstalling the interior. Also need to add the stereo, power locks and windows and some other stuff that was going to go on my El Camino. Will be fun over spring break.

Attachments

• Cutlass.jpg
    Cutlass.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 1,485
  • cutlass2.jpg
    cutlass2.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 1,355

Johnnychrome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2012
Northeast Ohio, USA
Awesome find there. My first Gbody was a 78 Salon. I still love/miss that car (20 years later)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor